Thread: Does my Euph Leadpipe need Adjustment?

Does my Euph Leadpipe need Adjustment?

I've been playing more euphonium lately, and as a "downstream" player, I find it hard to get in a comfortable playing position with my horn. Looking at pictures of other Euphoniums, I can't tell if the leadpipe has already been adjusted or not. It seems to angle downwards slightly, and I'm used to seeing them angled pretty much at a 90 degree angle to the horn.

Does it look like my leadpipe has been bent downwards a bit? I tried to get the photos as straight on as possible.

Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

It does look more compatible with my upstream setup than with your downstream setup! I suppose it is possible it was the one I played, which Paul may have made more comfortable for me in that way. I believe the horns I played (until I got my Virtuoso) all had the round valve guides. If yours are rectangular, then it was surely not adapted to me. I did use a heavy gold-brass bell, which this one has.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I think the valve guides are round, but they are worn. This horn looks to have possibly been a school horn, and it's entirely possible that the leadpipe angle is due to a repair or drop as it is due to a professional moving it. I just know that the leadpipe on my Tuba is pretty much at an exact right angle to the bell. I'm not sure if that's the standard setup though.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.