Thread: Swing / Jazz concert

Swing / Jazz concert

The Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches next concert is an 'all swing' program. Our first concert is 4 weeks from now and already sold out. Since there are a number of seniors here in S. Florida they're always interested if we're playing any Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman charts – and we are. We're having a special guest to join us. CWO2 Stephen Giove - who directed the Marine Band at Paris Island for a number of years. He's a good director and excellent on drum set. I know we're playing "Saint Louis Blues March" and "Sing, Sing, Sing" and several others. I suspect he'll be directing us from the drum set on some of these. Looking forward to this.

There's one number we're playing that I'm not thrilled about. It's a 'swing' version of "Stars and Stripes Forever" (J.P. Sousa) arranged by Toshio Mashima. Our MD is a director of Bravo Music so he gets a number of arrangements from Japan. Many of them are excellent and challenging.

If interested, you can listen to the swing version of Stars and Stripes here by Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra
    Please let me know your opinion on this arrangement.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-11-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Ugh!! I'm with you, Rick. Guess I am an old traditionalist. I like "Stars and Stripes Forever" played exactly the way it was written, period. Just like I like the National Anthem played and sung precisely as written, without any embellishments, or someone screeching out the highest note they can sing near the ending. Ugh!! Some pieces should not be messed with, and these would be two of them in my humble opinion.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Kind of fun to listen to because of the swing twist/flare (smile). But for the low brass folks, nothing much special to play. Until you get to the dogfight that is. The overall flavor changed, but the parts, not so much.

Is the dogfight enough to make putting up with the walking bass line and offbeats the rest of the time worth it? Only you can answer that. There is a special kind of brass player who loves that kind of thing. Me, I prefer a meatier part.

But it was a fun listen and the right audience will eat it up (grin)! And having the approval/applause of your audience feels wonderful, regardless of which "part" you play.
    - Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 01-10-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

On the Stars and Stripes... meh.

As a concept it was going to get done sooner or later. The particulars of the arrangement really didn't engage me. A lot of the interest that Sousa wrote into the march was stripped away to make the big band texture work. The syncopated rhythm in the dogfight felt unbalanced. There were a couple of cute touches here and there, but overall a snoozer for me.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Well, I can sort of see why the arrangement was picked - to fit in with the big band format. Just OK.
    The rest of the concert sounds amazing. Good for you!
    Last edited by Euph Loosh; 01-11-2020 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add sentence(s)
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Yeah I figured most opinions of our 'National' march arr in swing would be the same as mine. I know why our Dir picked it... it fits in with the program.

Here's an arrangement by Toshio Mashima we're playing:
    Tribute to Count Basie - arr. Mashima (by Tokyo Kosei Wind Orch)
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I agree with some of the comments about the Stars & Stripes arrangement. Not quite all the rhythms and notes I might have picked, but it was well crafted and the band delivered it well.

To my surprise, there are LOTS of swing versions, some done by military bands.

First, a known big-band arranger, Bill Holcombe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-bZ_HKlR-E

Ella Fitgerald's favorite arranger/band leader, Chick Webb:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBL_KhKh3_A

U.S. Army "American Corps Band":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=vKCEdQWaO6Q

Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVEdfX7_kM

U.S. Navy Commodores:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFeR1vKLNs
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired