Thread: Wessex Tubas FB-124 Flugabone vs Dynasty M566

Wessex Tubas FB-124 Flugabone vs Dynasty M566

Does anyone have experience of the Wessex Tubas FB-124 flugabone vs the Dynasty M566 marching trombone? I've got a very good example of the latter (no dents or dings, seems to have lived undisturbed in an attic for a decade before I bought it) but to my mind it's very "stuffy" to play and the sound is very "thin". (My other instruments are JP Sterling 373 Baritone, B&H Sovereign 967 Euphonium and B&H Sovereign tenor trombone, all of which play much more freely and sonorously for me). Is the FB-124 better than the M566 or should I continue my quest for an Olds O21, King 1130, Blessing M200 or Kanstul 955?
    Kevin Broadey

1976 B&H "Round Stamp" Sovereign 967 Euphonium / Denis Wick Heritage 4ABL
    1976 B&H "Round Stamp" Sovereign Trombone / Denis Wick Heritage 6BL
    2018 JP373 Sterling Baritone / Denis Wick Heritage 6BS, Classic SM9B
    20?? Schiller Marching Baritone / Denis Wick Heritage 9BS
    2009 Dynasty M566 Marching Trombone / Denis Wick Heritage 12CS
    ... and not enough time to play them all!

2. Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Does anyone have experience of the Wessex Tubas FB-124 flugabone vs the Dynasty M566 marching trombone? I've got a very good example of the latter (no dents or dings, seems to have lived undisturbed in an attic for a decade before I bought it) but to my mind it's very "stuffy" to play and the sound is very "thin". (My other instruments are JP Sterling 373 Baritone, B&H Sovereign 967 Euphonium and B&H Sovereign tenor trombone, all of which play much more freely and sonorously for me). Is the FB-124 better than the M566 or should I continue my quest for an Olds O21, King 1130, Blessing M200 or Kanstul 955?
    Did you go for the Wessex flugabone?

I bought a King 1130 for £300 through an acquaintance on Facebook who “knew a guy”. Strangely there’s no engraving on the bell, but it sure looks, feels and sounds like a King. I also bought a mint King 1127 marching baritone through Reverb for a lot less than the $3000 that’s currently being asked. I can thoroughly recommend both instruments, though for a while I went off the 1127 in favour of a Blessing BM301 “Accord” stencil made by Elkhart that I bought in a terrible state for $25 and spent £200 having it rebuilt from the ground up - there’s some great pictures of that on FB! - but I came to my senses, sold the Elk and kept the King.

4. Ok. Not a bad price for a King I reckon, given as you say that it is the real deal. In the end, the sound is all that matters.
    I am a tuba player but have the biggest crush on the flugabone (and marching baritone also..) and am seriously considering getting one Wessex horn.
    I am located in Iceland and instruments like marching baritone and marching trombone /flugabone just don't exist here. The marching tradition - The Force - is not that strong with our wind bands. That basically makes these instruments kind of exotic to me

Sounds like you have a farely good setup of instruments for all occations by now!

I will probably start with a flugabone... pretty sure..