Thread: Euhponium upgrade help

Euhponium upgrade help

Hi,

I am actually play a Yamaha YEP621S for 13 years now. I am very interested of a better one.
    Do you guys have any tips?

I am a advanced amateur player playing in a windband and a quintet in which I play the french horn part.

Thanks for any recommondations in advance.

There are many options based on your budget and your concept of sound. In the professional category, Yamaha offers the Neo and Custom models. Willson, Besson, Sterling, Adams, Shires are top brands. At a lower cost, look at used professional horns and Chinese stencil horns. Wessex is possibly the best of these.

OK, budget is up to 7000€ should be a professional horn. Looking for dark nice sound.
    What do you think of Adams E2 with heavy valves caps, Willson 2950 or Besson souvereign?

Thanks again

Of those three choices you listed I would vote for the Adams E2.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

As longer I search I find more and more nice Instruments. Can someone say anything about the Geneva GNEU801 Oldroyd Cardinal?
    Very nice look.

https://genevainstruments.com/oldroy.../bb-euphonium/

The Miraphone M5050 will also fit your budget... At ITEC 2019 it was my very favorite euphonium... Has a marvellous symphonic tone, perhaps slightly more "heroic" than my second favorite instrument -- the Besson Prestige, which is instead subtly warmer than M5050.

You will find lots of clips of M5050 online, a lot of them performed by Demondrae Thurman.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available