Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving the Wick 4AL another chance:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Which would that be, the underwear proverb or the "3 notes and the truth" proverb? Alas, I seemed to have missed your original response.
    Mouthpieces are like underwear: I change every three months whether I need to or not.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Ah, yes. I remember...

DDG

I'm now vacillating between the Wedge and the 3.5...

Wedge & underwear don't go together, eh?

DDG

5. Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I'm now vacillating between the Wedge and the 3.5...
    I've been very curious about the Wedge for a while. If you do try it, please post a detailed account!
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Quote Originally Posted by lzajmom View Post
    I've been very curious about the Wedge for a while. If you do try it, please post a detailed account!
    Izajmom,
    I'm back to it now. I find it quite comfortable, and it allows me to do what I want to do. I briefly returned to the SM 3.5 for one performance, but went back to the Wedge. I've had it since the summer and am very fond of it. I'm not sure why I made the one-concert shift--perhaps it was the tunes I had to play, or maybe I just can't leave well enough alone. My overall verdict on the Wedge is extremely positive.
    Jim

7. Thanks Jim! I've been using a 51D for most of the last year since returning to music, and it has seemed important to be consistent as I re-learn how to play and wait impatiently for my embouchure to strengthen. Now, as we go into the summer concerts with lots of rangey marches, I wonder if it is finally time to really give something else a chance. I like the 51D, and as much as I read all y'all's comments about the various mouthpieces, I'm still not sure if I know what I'd be looking for in something different. I have an SM3.5 on (rather extended) loan from a very kind member of this board, and I plan to try it at least through graduation ceremonies in May. I just know the marches were pretty painful last year!
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

I recently tried a 4AL for the first time. To me, it feels bigger than the “4” would normally indicate. It sounds great. I’m shocked that in all my mouthpiece wrangling I’d never tried one before.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12