Thread: Newby

1. Newby

Hello all this is a very cool forum. I haven't played a euphonium in about 40 years. My son talked me into buying one. I got a plastic one just to try it out and quickly figured out I miss playing. I've been practicing for a while and I've decided I need a better one. I live in the Dallas tx area and was wondering is there a place that has several models I could test. Thanks Dan

Hi and welcome to the forum. I live in S. Florida so can't really answer you question. Hopefully another member here can help.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Nice to have you back in the music game!

I don't know the stores/stock in TX, but perhaps other members do. It might help to know your budget. If I had to assume, I'd guess you want an inexpensive instrument of good quality??? A Wessex would be a good choice for around $1300, but I don't know if there are stocked anywhere. Wessex has a Chicago showroom, but generally sells via "mail order." They are quite reputable.

There are decent choices for between 2500-3000, a choice or two around 5k, and then you get to pro horns for around $7k to 10k.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Welcome to the Forum. I don't live in TX either but may I suggest that you check with your local large music store as to whether you can rent a horn. I used this method to try several horns (after returning from a 42 year hiatus) before I purchased my B&H Imperial. Another option is to join one of the New Horizons International Music Association bands in your area (there are 3 or 4 in the Dallas/Plano area) and compare instruments with your fellow Euphonium players. An added note - I sat next to a Euphoniumist who played a Wessex - and he liked it a lot. Good luck!
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

5. Thanks for the replys the Wessex does look like a good deal