Thread: Looking for a horn to get me through college as a music major and beyond!

1. Looking for a horn to get me through college as a music major and beyond!

Hi there everyone!

I'm currently looking for a used professional level horn at a reasonable price to use throughout college. I am a freshman music major at James Madison University. The last time I posted here was a couple years (or three?) ago when I had first purchased a Wessex Dolce and was having trouble with the valves sticking. The Dolce got me through high school just fine, but upon playing the my professor's old Willson, I realized my horn just wasn't resonating like the Willson. To be honest, my Wessex felt almost dead, resonance wise. That's what I've been playing on for the semester, an old (silver flaking off in places) Euro-shank Willson, and I love how it feels. I would appreciate any input, whether that's pointing me towards horns that behave similarly to the Willson, or helping me find new places to hunt for horns.

Thanks so much and I hope your 2020 has started off spectacularly!

If you're looking for a Willson 2900 there just happens to be one posted for sale about an hour ago. See this thread:

FS: 2003 Willson 2900S

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)