Thread: Fair Value Frank Holton Double Bell Euph

1. Question Fair Value Frank Holton Double Bell Euph

Sorry - I'd have edited the first threads title if I could have figured out how..... Anyway title is right now.

I'd like to know what the fair value for this horn is. It's a silver plated in good condition, some dings and a fair amount of wear, in a 5 valve ( 3 & 2 ) configuration. This is the info I received from the seller;

On the middle of the three upright valves is this:

Frank Holton
    Chicago

One side valve has the number 5.

The other side valve is marked:

An interesting detail: Above the "Made by Frank Holton & Co." logo is this: USQMC -- which may stand for United States Quarter Master's Company (or Corps?)

2. Tink5775,
    Condition is probably as important or more important for valuing a Double Bell than for a modern player.
    I have a silver 1941 Holton Double Bell with 5 front action valves, engraved with a "US". Serial 146_ _ _.
    It took around $2700 (my priciest horn) to acquire it back in 2011.
    It looks great, valves not bad for the vintage. Surprise was a rotten lead pipe one could not see in pics.
    Fortunately, my local repair guy had a euph lead pipe in silver.
    What you have described appears to be substantially older than 1941 if 11824 is the serial number.
    I think the real question on Double Bells is how much is one willing to pay for the existing condition.
    The Double Bells are more for our egos than practical playing (I use a Besson New Standard for that)
    Good luck hunting for a Double Bell you like at a price you can accept.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)

3. Thanks for that Jim!! I don't know which number is the actual serial #. I know the horn is playable as it was used in Tuba Christmas this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	775.9 KB 
ID:	7347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	922.3 KB 
ID:	7348

Are there any other numbers engraved elsewhere on the horn? I know that with some old horns, the horn body had one serial number, and the valve block had another. It sounds like each set of valves on your horn has its own number. My guess is that a serial number for the horn body would give you a more accurate idea of when the horn was manufactured.

Let us know what you find out. It sounds like your horn has an interesting story.
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

5. Update - the person selling it just gave me her price and I've bought it for $750. When I have it in hand I'll see if there are any other identifying marks and update here again.

6. I think you have a reasonable double bell at a reasonable price.
    You have some headroom for reasonable repairs / maintenance.
    The layout on your Holton is similar to what I have on a 1924 Buescher, (Upright and 3+2).
    Have fun with it.
    Jim
    Jim Babbitt
    1960s 4 valve and 1971 3 valve Besson New Standards (Denis Wick 6BM) for regular playing
    1936 Conn 5 valve 30I Double Bell (Bach 6-1/2AL) General Purpose Back -Up
    1924 Buescher 5 valve (the Denis Wick is close) and 1940 Holton 5 valve (Bach 6-1/2AL) Double Bells for kicks.
    1860s OTS Saxhorn when history is required (the Denis Wick fits)