Thread: Trigger vs. alternate fingerings vs. lipping

Trigger vs. alternate fingerings vs. lipping

This question is probably getting ahead of my abilities, which are at a relatively low level for now. Anyway, can we discuss the pros and cons of using a trigger vs. alternate fingerings vs. lipping to bring notes into tune? (We could even bring in compensating vs. non-compensating instruments into the discussion if it would be helpful.)

Right now I have a compensating 4-valve instrument. The question behind the question is whether it is worth considering getting a 4-valve compensating instrument with a trigger, or just stick with my present instrument and learn to use alternate fingerings and/or lipping to bring notes into tune. In case it makes a difference, I have no realistic ambition of becoming a professional-level player, but I do want to become a much better player.

I suspect the answer would be to stick with the instrument I have and learn to use alternate fingerings and lipping, but having a fairly comprehensive discussion could be helpful to me and perhaps to others with similar questions.

Thanks.

Well, triggers are a relatively new feature that previously was only done on a custom basis. Many professional players did quite well for decades on compensating horns without triggers, either by lipping or using alternate fingerings. Having the trigger is certainly nice, but there is also a limit to what it can do, and where it can be used, the same with lipping and alternate fingerings.

In the end it ends up being the player that decides. Some instruments also have wider "slots" and are more accommodating to lipping up or down than others.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Lots to consider, but it is not a right/wrong situation. Some horns need a trigger more than others; if you have one of those, then the weight is toward getting a trigger.

The decision becomes less clear for horns with less need. My Adams is very well in tune, probably better than any other brand. In addition (don't overlook this when thinking of triggers) the trigger only lowers the pitch. My horn has some flat notes that a trigger would not help.

So looking at the Adams as least needful, IMO, one can still argue either way. There are certainly notes where I would use a trigger if I had one, but they are relatively few, and I have options for some. Still, if I could make a trigger magically appear and disappear at will, it would be nice to have the ability. On the other hand, which is the hand that decided, triggers add weight, reduce the vibration of the horn, and need maintenance (not that I'm lazy, but...). I did not base the decision on cost; I would have paid more if I really wanted a trigger.

When I played a Sovereign 967 (British, 1980's production) or even my New Standard, I absolutely would have chosen one if there was a factory option. The high Eb, E, and F were very sharp and a problem in performance. I used alternate fingerings, but those made accuracy more difficult (it put the partials a little closer and made the horn stuffier). Yet some of the British players managed intonation very well, from a listener's point of view.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Echoing what Dave stated, a trigger does require a good amount of care and maintenance, not only making sure the trigger itself works properly, but also making sure the tuning slide moves with incredible ease so the trigger CAN operate properly. I’ve a trigger on my Neo of which I use rarely use and it does certainly add weight to the horn.

I'd say stick to classic but it is all up to you in the end as everyone else is pointing out, you won't lose out on anything in my opinion if you swap now but trigger needs a good amount of love from you no doubt so keep that in mind.

My Dolce turned out to be pretty close on intonation, after I had played it for a year or so (see chart in another post), but if I ever buy a "professional" horn, it WILL have a trigger. I would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Trying to lip my '66 New Standard on those chronic 'sharpies' was a fools errand. This horn just slots with no wiggle.

As Dave said, alternative fingerings did the job, at the expense of tone.

The take away is the addition of my custom trigger makes it so much easier to play. What I've really come to know is just how far off pitch my section-mates are.

Dennis