Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sterling Virtuoso questions

1. Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    Does the weight/thickness of the bell impact the intonation of the Sterling Virtuoso? If so, which one produces better intonation?
    No. All Sterlings will tend to exhibit intonation tendencies similar but perhaps slightly better than a Besson (Sovereign or Prestige). Use of the trigger is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    How does the sound of a Sterling Virtuoso with a standard bell compare to a Willson 2900? Thanks!!!
    Wendy, the Sterlings have a typical "British" sound which is quite different from a typical Willson 2900. However, the player and mouthpiece choice is more likely to determine the sound. I would guess that I would sound more similar if I was playing my Sterling with a Wick 4AL and a 2900 with a 4AM than different.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    No. All Sterlings will tend to exhibit intonation tendencies similar but perhaps slightly better than a Besson (Sovereign or Prestige). Use of the trigger is recommended.

Wendy, the Sterlings have a typical "British" sound which is quite different from a typical Willson 2900. However, the player and mouthpiece choice is more likely to determine the sound. I would guess that I would sound more similar if I was playing my Sterling with a Wick 4AL and a 2900 with a 4AM than different.
    I’ll agree with Doug here with a caveat. I owned a Sterling for a few years, and while I did sound like me on it, I had to work really hard to overcome the British sound inherent in the horn. I was much happier when I found a horn that let me make the sound in my head without working so hard.

Don

3. Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    I’ll agree with Doug here with a caveat. I owned a Sterling for a few years, and while I did sound like me on it, I had to work really hard to overcome the British sound inherent in the horn. I was much happier when I found a horn that let me make the sound in my head without working so hard. Don
    And, of course, as my good friend Don knows, I want to play with the British sound, so the Sterling just amplifies the sound I hear in my head!

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Doug, if you have charted the intonation of the Sterline Virtuoso, what was the outcome? Was it consistent with what Dave found when he tested one? What are the most challenging notes, intonation wise? Thanks!!!

5. 2008 Sterling Virtuoso Intonation

I have not charted intonation on my Virtuoso (300 mm bell). However, it is very similar to what Dave has charted, so see what he posted in his tuning charts. I practice my daily routine using a metronome and tuner daily over a 4+ octave range from pedal Cb (1st partial) to D above high Bb. Using my Wick 4AL, virtually all notes in the normal 2 1/2 octave range (low Eb to high Bb) are either right on or with a few cents of dead center. I will say the following as a practical matter:

1. With the exception of specific notes about to be discussed, the pitch is VERY good. There are NO flat 1st valve or 2nd valve notes (middle C, A below middle C or Eb below that) that some other brands exhibit.
    2. The Sterling exhibits classic 6th partial sharpness, with Eb (1st valve) and F (open) above middle C requiring a full trigger to play in tune. The E (2nd valve) equires 1/2 trigger.
    3. Middle G (1-2) is also sharpo. I either play it with full trigger or I use 3rd valve.
    4. Low F (4th valve) and F# are also sharp, requiring full trigger on F and 1/2 trigger on F#.
    5. Low C and B (1-3-4 and 1-2-3-4) are, of course sharp. Use full trigger.
    6. Pedal range varies more by embouchure but is pretty good down to pedal D. Mostly just the sound of flapping lips below that. I can hit a fake double pedal Bb by using 1-2-3-4, full trigger, and bending the pitch.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Thank you for the detailed information!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123