X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Wendy Willson View Post
    Doug, could you please look at these pictures and let me know what you can tell (good or bad) regarding the age, custom or standard options, etc.
    Wendy,

VERY nice looking instrument. This horn definitely would be significantly superior to any JP374/JP374 horn.

It is a pretty recent instrument with the current (new) style trigger design that uses a thumb screw on the pushrod to set tuning. My older horn had a turnbuckle system on the trigger pushrod and used a screw stop (like a trumpet has on its 3rd valve) to set tuning, though I have modified mine to use the modern pushrod. I am pretty certain that the valveset is NOT Bauerfeind since Sterling hasn't used them for the better part of 10 years. This instrument looks to be very similar to the new horns that Baltimore Brass carries.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Wendy Willson
      • Oct 2019

Thank you Doug. How do I confirm it it has a heavy or standard bell? What determines which is preferable? Thanks!

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Thank you Doug. How do I confirm it it has a heavy or standard bell? What determines which is preferable? Thanks!
        Only way to tell is by the model number inside the bell down near the joint with the bottom bow. A 1065 is standard weight bell. A 1065H has a heavy bell.

Not a huge difference between the two. Both are great horns. Most Sterlings have 12" (305mm) bells. Mine is 11.81" (300mm) and they are also available in 310mm (12.2"). I wanted the heavy bell with gold trim. Thus my horn is a 1065HGS.

Heavy bell horns can take more power without breaking up or sounding rough, but generally are not as responsive and may be a bit more difficult to play softly.

Doug
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Wendy Willson
          • Oct 2019

Thanks! I appreciate the education!

Comment

• Wendy Willson
            • Oct 2019

Two more questions!

Does the weight/thickness of the bell impact the intonation of the Sterling Virtuoso? If so, which one produces better intonation?

How does the sound of a Sterling Virtuoso with a standard bell compare to a Willson 2900?

Thanks!!!

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

Does the weight/thickness of the bell impact the intonation of the Sterling Virtuoso? If so, which one produces better intonation?
              No. All Sterlings will tend to exhibit intonation tendencies similar but perhaps slightly better than a Besson (Sovereign or Prestige). Use of the trigger is recommended.

How does the sound of a Sterling Virtuoso with a standard bell compare to a Willson 2900? Thanks!!!
              Wendy, the Sterlings have a typical "British" sound which is quite different from a typical Willson 2900. However, the player and mouthpiece choice is more likely to determine the sound. I would guess that I would sound more similar if I was playing my Sterling with a Wick 4AL and a 2900 with a 4AM than different.
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• djwpe
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                No. All Sterlings will tend to exhibit intonation tendencies similar but perhaps slightly better than a Besson (Sovereign or Prestige). Use of the trigger is recommended.

Wendy, the Sterlings have a typical "British" sound which is quite different from a typical Willson 2900. However, the player and mouthpiece choice is more likely to determine the sound. I would guess that I would sound more similar if I was playing my Sterling with a Wick 4AL and a 2900 with a 4AM than different.
                I’ll agree with Doug here with a caveat. I owned a Sterling for a few years, and while I did sound like me on it, I had to work really hard to overcome the British sound inherent in the horn. I was much happier when I found a horn that let me make the sound in my head without working so hard.

Don

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by djwpe View Post
                  I’ll agree with Doug here with a caveat. I owned a Sterling for a few years, and while I did sound like me on it, I had to work really hard to overcome the British sound inherent in the horn. I was much happier when I found a horn that let me make the sound in my head without working so hard. Don
                  And, of course, as my good friend Don knows, I want to play with the British sound, so the Sterling just amplifies the sound I hear in my head!

Doug
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Wendy Willson
                    • Oct 2019

Doug, if you have charted the intonation of the Sterline Virtuoso, what was the outcome? Was it consistent with what Dave found when he tested one? What are the most challenging notes, intonation wise? Thanks!!!

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

2008 Sterling Virtuoso Intonation

I have not charted intonation on my Virtuoso (300 mm bell). However, it is very similar to what Dave has charted, so see what he posted in his tuning charts. I practice my daily routine using a metronome and tuner daily over a 4+ octave range from pedal Cb (1st partial) to D above high Bb. Using my Wick 4AL, virtually all notes in the normal 2 1/2 octave range (low Eb to high Bb) are either right on or with a few cents of dead center. I will say the following as a practical matter:

1. With the exception of specific notes about to be discussed, the pitch is VERY good. There are NO flat 1st valve or 2nd valve notes (middle C, A below middle C or Eb below that) that some other brands exhibit.
                      2. The Sterling exhibits classic 6th partial sharpness, with Eb (1st valve) and F (open) above middle C requiring a full trigger to play in tune. The E (2nd valve) equires 1/2 trigger.
                      3. Middle G (1-2) is also sharpo. I either play it with full trigger or I use 3rd valve.
                      4. Low F (4th valve) and F# are also sharp, requiring full trigger on F and 1/2 trigger on F#.
                      5. Low C and B (1-3-4 and 1-2-3-4) are, of course sharp. Use full trigger.
                      6. Pedal range varies more by embouchure but is pretty good down to pedal D. Mostly just the sound of flapping lips below that. I can hit a fake double pedal Bb by using 1-2-3-4, full trigger, and bending the pitch.
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Wendy Willson
                        • Oct 2019

Thank you for the detailed information!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X