Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing euphonium stands

1. Comparing euphonium stands

Hey guys!

So I asked Santa for a euphonium stand for Christmas this year, but he had some follow-up questions. I guess some elves build in the toy shop and others go out and shop in stores and online, and Santa assigned my case to the shopper elves.

I want a stand to hold my Dolce at home when I'm not practicing. It will sit on a carpeted floor. I have a 4yo and 2yo who don't go into that very room often, but I do let them live here , and "euphomumums" are shiny and attractive. I'm easily frustrated when things don't just work when they should, so if it takes too much fiddling to get the instrument in and out, I probably just wouldn't use it.

I read Dave's helpful review of the Hercules stand, but I was hoping for some more brand comparison.

Based on reviews that the Nomad isn't as stable as one might like, I think we rule out the Nomad.

The K&M is well-liked on this board, but it's the priciest. Does it fold up for easy storage?

The Hercules is a little cheaper, and I really like that it folds up. But are 3 legs sturdy enough for a carpeted floor and kids?

Has anyone used the Wessex stand? It appears to be like the K&M and it does fold up. It's cheap enough that I could also get the 6qt sauce pan I've been wanting. (What's on your wish list??) Is it really sturdy, though? Will the clippy thingies that hold the instrument in place hold up over time? I haven't found any reviews of it anywhere.

I don't have a way to physically try any of these, so I'm limited to online reviews and the collective experience of this insightful forum. I don't want to save $50 and risk damaging a $1500 instrument, but I don't want to spend more money for no reason, either.

Thanks everyone!
    Wessex Dolce

"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things -- trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones." - Puddleglum in "The Silver Chair"

Quote Originally Posted by lzajmom View Post
    The Hercules is a little cheaper, and I really like that it folds up. But are 3 legs sturdy enough for a carpeted floor and kids?
    I'd say "yes" without hesitating. The stand is almost all metal, including the legs. Sturdiness is not a problem, and they have a wide enough stance radius to be stable.

The risk I'd be concerned about with any of these is a walking (or leaning to walk) kiddo. If they see the shiny object and lose their balance as they get close enough to grab it, I'm not sure which stand I would choose! With any of them, it would be ideal (I think) if you arranged it so that the horn touched a wall behind it. That way an accidental bump into the whole affair would not be likely to tip it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The Hercules is a good stand, and also can hold a sizeable tuba without issue. Very stable and well made. However, definitely NOT easily portable.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

4. To piggy back on this thread, would you recommend having a cover or something for when the euph is sitting on the stand so that it does not collect too much dust? I currently just keep my euph in my kronkite gig bag in the closet so that it is covered.
    Mack Euph
    Warburton Demondre MP

Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    To piggy back on this thread, would you recommend having a cover or something for when the euph is sitting on the stand so that it does not collect too much dust? I currently just keep my euph in my kronkite gig bag in the closet so that it is covered.
    I cover my bell with a large cloth to keep bugs out! (It's in my basement.) Otherwise I don't cover it, because I think it allows the horn to dry out a bit after playing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I vote for and highly recommend the K&M stand. Have had one for years, and I now also have a larger version of the K&M stand for my Eb tuba. They are sturdy as heck and hold the horn solidly. They also fold up nicely. A little pricey, but once bought, they last forever. One thing I do with this stand regarding the "arms" that hold the horn. which are made of a rubber like material: I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some sticky backed felt paper (fuzzy on one side, sticky on the other). I then cut out little strips and stick them on the rubber arms to protect the horn further. Otherwise, the rubbery stuff tends to sometimes rub off on the horn a little. Not a big deal, but I don't like anything on my horn that shouldn't be there.

I keep a good sized cloth over the bell on my horn like Dave, and I keep my horn out most of the time. I like to air it out and have it dry, plus I like it ready to play when the mood strikes me, which is often.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by lzajmom View Post

I want a stand to hold my Dolce at home when I'm not practicing.
    Good idea.

It will sit on a carpeted floor.
    Why? Seriously. While it can be nice to have a floor stand while you're playing, if you want a stand for safety but ease of access for long periods of the day while you're not playing, the floor is not the best place for it.

I have a 4yo and 2yo who don't go into that very room often, but I do let them live here .
    Been there; done that; have the scars. Three kids, large dog, cats, horses (well, at least those weren't in the house). Two boys, one girl. Having boys is like raising bear cubs. My son is going through that now.

If you want to keep your horn uncased, relatively easy to hand, and safe, HANG IT ON THE WALL. This is also inexpensive. You can probably get a long enough bracket at Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight or Amazon (e.g., the heavy-duty ones for large lawn tools, hanging baskets, etc), and maybe modify it a bit, and screw it to a stud or a horizontal backing plate on the wall. This is how I keep my oval euph. Your euph is only a bit more challenging because of the wider bell, but you CAN find or make something (my euph bracket is a simple one I made out of wood) that will work well and completely remove the instrument from the combat zone. And it's not expensive either.

Take a look here for some ideas: https://simonettitubacollection.com/

Something to think about.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

8. I would second hanging it on the wall. Easy access and less likely to be knocked over. However, I also have the Wessex stand. It’s great.

I’ve had it for about 4 years? And haven’t had any issues with it. It’s small enough that I bring it to rehearsals too and use it as a rest stand during breaks. Plenty stable with four legs, I wouldn’t have any issues on the carpet. Plus, it’s cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    The Hercules is a good stand, and also can hold a sizeable tuba without issue. Very stable and well made. However, definitely NOT easily portable.
    I also recommend the Hercules stand. It's very stable, no incidents of rubber sticking to the horn or crumbling, and good access to the horn for oiling the valves.

I have two dogs (see my avatar) and I feel confident that they can't hurt the horn. Regarding keeping the horn out of its case to air it out, I agree - and I keep my trombone on an H & M stand next to the euphonium.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    I have two dogs (see my avatar) and I feel confident that they can't hurt the horn.
    Which illustrates that the euphonium stand requirements are somewhat dependent on the size of the dogs.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast