Thread: Compensating euphonium as an F-tuba?

Compensating euphonium as an F-tuba?

I read somewhere that when the fourth valve is held down on a compensating euphonium it can be treated as if it were a three valve F-tuba. Is that correct?

If one wanted to play it as an F-tuba would a person use a different mouthpiece than a euphonium mouthpiece?

Thanks.

The answer to your first question is yes, mostly. The length of the horn and the fingerings are like a 3-valve F tuba (that is non-compensating), but it is a lot stuffier. By having to play via the 4th valve you are adding some cylindrical tubing an F tuba would not have. And when you use the first 3 valves, you are going through some extra turns and 2 sets of slides for each valve.

2nd question: yes for me; not everyone may agree on that one. I typically used a Wick 3AL when I had lots of low stuff. Some might use a modified tuba mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. When playing tuba parts, I use a Bach 1 1/2G. Helps get the lows to pop.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I find the 1 1/2G to be a bit big and instead use my regular DE Euph mouthpiece (but it's already pretty big). I find the Wick 3AL to be a bit small for this purpose. It depends partly on your euphonium and partly on you. Some experimentation (roughly in the range of a 3AL-1AL or 1.5G) should be expected -- and you should expect to change your mind as you gain more experience using the horn in that way. A good "exercise" is to go through the Tuba 1 parts in the Tuba Christmas book. I've used a euph several times on that part.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I find the 1 1/2G to be a bit big and instead use my regular DE Euph mouthpiece (but it's already pretty big). I find the Wick 3AL to be a bit small for this purpose. It depends partly on your euphonium and partly on you. Some experimentation (roughly in the range of a 3AL-1AL or 1.5G) should be expected -- and you should expect to change your mind as you gain more experience using the horn in that way. A good "exercise" is to go through the Tuba 1 parts in the Tuba Christmas book. I've used a euph several times on that part.
    Interesting idea to use the Tuba Christmas book. Thanks. And thanks to the other posters too.