• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LittleJimmy
    • Jan 2013

Yamaha YBH 621 vs Wessex BR 144

Hello

I've posted several times about my Yamaha and how that I am constantly pulling slides and emptying spit valves. It can become a real problem, when playing a long piece without many measures of rest in a concert band piece. For those who have played both horns, is the Wessex any better? Thanks.

LittleJimmy
  • franz
    • Dec 2015

It is a common problem for all baritones: the diameter of the smaller bore, compared to the euphonium, exacerbates the accumulation of condensation, especially in cold environments. There is little to do: empty the condensation from the slides using the water keys instead of pulling them, it only takes a few seconds.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
      • Jul 2017

The one difference between the two is that the Wessex has a water key on the third valve slide, which is far better than pulling all the time. You could have your tech add a water key to yours. I’ve had that done numerous times to the horns I’ve had in the past and present.

Comment

• daruby
        • Apr 2006

Nick,

You have too many horns! Now looking at a York Eminence??? BTW, I heard your 25i bell is being lacquered today. I want a picture of the horn with the reurbished bell on it.

Doug
        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
        Concord Band
        Winchendon Winds
        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
          • Jul 2017

Haha, no Doug, I get the Reverb feed daily and thought I’d mention, and I will certainly post pictures once I get it back, thanks Doug !!!! By the way, NEVER to many euphs !!!

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

Originally posted by daruby View Post
            Nick,

You have too many horns!
            I see seven in his signature. That's what I call a "beginner"
            --
            Barry

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
              • Jul 2017

Very true Barry, now that I’ve one for every day of the week, next goal is one for every month of the year

Comment

• daruby
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Nbnarcisi View Post
                Very true Barry, now that I’ve one for every day of the week, next goal is one for every month of the year
                Nick,

I think Barry's goal is a horn for every day of every week of every month of every year! He is truly is an outlier. Don't forget the pipe organ as well and a few cute alpacas to boot!

Doug
                Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                Concord Band
                Winchendon Winds
                Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
                  • Jul 2017

Then I shall try to follow in the path of a true collector Doug !!

Comment

• bbocaner
                    • May 2009

Well, my goal is to have all the most appropriate instruments for all of the opportunities I might have to do playing with quality groups. No more, no less. I don't get any joy just from having them, only if they give me the opportunity to get good at something new and apply it with other musicians.

The problem is I just keep finding more opportunities!
                    --
                    Barry

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
                      • Jul 2017

Picking up the Connstellation bell mid-week Doug, will post pictures at that point, throughly enjoying the horn !

Comment

Working...
                      X