Ok, so I've been playing my new Festivo for a few months now. Getting better with the valves. I've always heard euphonium players say "don't play like a trombonist", and was never quite sure what that meant. Maybe now I'm figuring that out. Trombone is such an analog instrument. You've got all these variations of positions, there is no real 2nd position. Euphonium is decidedly quantized. It has to fit into the slot. It's 1st valve or 2nd valve, or whatever. Trombonists always avoid positions past 4th, just because we're lazy and don't want to stretch out our arms. Plus, up high, say after high Bb, there are only 3 positions. There are 30 variations of those 3 positions, because trombonists believe it's barbaric to lip a note into tune. Move the slide, not the lips. Alternate positions on trombone are for speed and lip slurs, and lip slurs are to avoid that sad trombone wyahhh wyahhh whayyyy between notes.

So what do you do on euphonium for a high F#? Do you really play it 2+3 (that's like playing a high note in 5th position, which no self respecting trombone player would ever do)? And what about all 1+2 notes, should all of those really be played 3. Should all 1+3 really be played 4? and a high B natural? high D? And what does it mean to not play the euphonium like a trombone player?