Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for mouthpiece recommendation

Looking for mouthpiece recommendation

My horn is the Willson 2900 and all of my playing is in a brass band. For the last 5-6 years I’ve been using the Wick SM4MX with mostly good results. Last night I broke out my old Schilke 51D for the heck of it. The sound is a little light for BB use and the low range is comparatively weak vs the Wick.

What shocked me was how easy the 51D played in the upper register. I guess that makes sense considering the low register issues. The Wick takes a lot more work in high register playing. I’d say concert G and up above the staff in treble clef.

Given the vast experience here, let me know your recommendations for the best mouthpiece for my needs. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of low register but I need as much of a brass band sound and ease of playing in the upper register. It also must be available in a medium shank.

Thanks, Mike.

Michael, I know that mpc choices are very personal but you said something that I could identify with... the 4AL was a bit difficult in the high register and the 51D was a bit too bright. I had similar experiences. Two years ago I drove up to Warburton (Titusville, FL) and tried out all their mpcs. My wife went with me for an extra set of ears. I settled on the Brandon Jones signature model. It has a great tone, good low range and the high range is not difficult (can get the high B natural on my M5050). It is a modified ‘V’ cup so nothing like the Schilke. More ‘V’ than Wick. My wife said I sounded best on that piece.

Warburton Brandon Jones mpc:

Might be with a try.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks Rick. Sounds very interesting. Do you know if they have a return policy if the mouthpiece is not to the buyer’s liking?

No, sorry I do not. Maybe call them (Terry Warburton?) to see if they do.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    No, sorry I do not. Maybe call them (Terry Warburton?) to see if they do.
    I should have checked the website before asking as the answer is there. Returns are okay within 30 days. There is a $10.00 fee for mouthpieces that pays to refurbish them to new condition.

Hi Mike,

I have used the Warburton BJ mouthpiece with a 2900 and did not care for it. The BJ is a very livery sounding mouthpiece and for me it sound very bright and edgy. Warburton also sells a BJ verson 2 that is more similar is cup size and shape to a 51D, but I don't have any experience with it. A few others to look at would be the Laskey 57E, the Doug Elliott euph I cup, and the Wedge euph mouthpiece. The Wedge is interesting in that it is between a Wick Ultra and Ultra X in depth, but the rim diameter is narrower in the latitudinal orientation. I find it gives a little better endurance than than a Wick Ultra X.

Mike

Update: I have two mouthpieces on order for evaluation. Doug Elliott has recommended his 102 rim and H cup with euro shank. Also, I was able to meet Demondrae Thurmond last night and he recommended the Warburton 4G which I ordered today.

I also looked at the K & G 3.5D but it’s not available with the medium shank.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Update: I have two mouthpieces on order for evaluation. Doug Elliott has recommended his 102 rim and H cup with euro shank. Also, I was able to meet Demondrae Thurmond last night and he recommended the Warburton 4G which I ordered today.

I also looked at the K & G 3.5D but it’s not available with the medium shank.
    With regard to the DE, I would recommend also trying the I cup. The Ultra X is closer in depth to the I cup. Also, try with his “s” shanks. The standard shank sits out further than a Wick shank. The “s” shanks gives a more open, less focused sound. Works better with my 2900.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    With regard to the DE, I would recommend also trying the I cup. The Ultra X is closer in depth to the I cup. Also, try with his “s” shanks. The standard shank sits out further than a Wick shank. The “s” shanks gives a more open, less focused sound. Works better with my 2900.

Mike
    Thanks Mike! There’s so much to consider! The combination on the way is Doug’s recommendation based on my requirements but I’m flexible. We chose the H cup as it’s slightly shallower than the 51D. I’m thinking the narrower rim and H cup should help ease my upper range but be darker than a 51D. It’s all a bit of a crap shoot.

I agree with mbrooke on the short DE shanks. I know Doug likes those extra long shanks but on every single instrument I have gone through the whole process of choosing a doug elliott mouthpiece on, the short one has ended up working better for me.
    --
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast