Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP 274 vs 374

1. JP 274 vs 374

I'm looking to get a new euphonium, and one of the most promising options seems to be John packer. The one thing that confuses me though is that their 274 and 374 share the exact same specs, excluding the fact that the 374 is made of 80:20 brass and the 274 isn't. Are there any other changes that justify the price gap, but aren't evident from looking on a specs sheet?

The 374 was designed in collaboration with Paul Riggett of Sterling, who make professional euphoniums in the UK. They consider the 374 to be a full professional level euphonium, while the 274 is more intermediate.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

they are different, and for what it's worth, there are a LOT of people out there that think the 274 is the better instrument. I'm one of them

The leadpipe is different, the 374 has Sterling branded leadpipe while the 274 don't. Not sure what's the difference though, as I never played the 374 before.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

5. i have played the 374 and I would say it is not worth upgrading to. I have never played the 274 so I can not say much on it. They say it is a professional euphonium, but it did not feel much better than my knock off Chinese euphonium. Comparing the 374 to the other professional euphoniums I have played, it feels like an mid range euphonium and not a professional model.
    Last edited by Euphism; 12-03-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    i have played the 374 and I would say it is not worth upgrading to. I have never played the 274 so I can not say much on it. They say it is a professional euphonium, but it did not feel much better than my knock off Chinese euphonium. Comparing the 374 to the other professional euphoniums I have played, it feels like an mid range euphonium and not a professional model.
    Can you describe the factors that make it feel as you say? I’ve not played a Packer or any of the Chinese made horns.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Can you describe the factors that make it feel as you say? I’ve not played a Packer or any of the Chinese made horns.
    To elaborate more about the 374, it was slightly less resistant than my Chinese horn. I was about to play a few notes higher with more clarity. Also the sound on the 374 was a little bright to me. The values worked fine and were actually fairly quiet to what I am used to. The ergonomics of the 374 are decent. The fourth value is not hard to reach. It is also a fairly light horn. My reason for saying I do not thing it is worth upgrading is that I played both the 374 and my personal horn in the same room and mouthpiece and could barely hear a difference in the tone, intonation, or clarity than my personal horn. Projection wise, I preferred my personal horn. Just as a disclaimer, I am no professional and am only a freshman in college. When it comes to my personal horn (Chinese made), it is actually pretty good for the price (paid $1,600 for it). It is overall a good horn and served me well in high school. I am a lot stronger of a player now and actually need a professional horn. It was made by Jinbao I believe, but was branded by an American music company locally where I am from. If you are looking for a good, amateur horn, then I would recommend a Chinese made horn or a Wessex Dolce. For professional horns, my choices would be a sterling virtuoso, a yamaha neo, or my personal favorite a hirsbrunner. I hope this answers any questions you may have and sorry for any extra information.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    To elaborate more about the 374, it was slightly less resistant than my Chinese horn. I was about to play a few notes higher with more clarity. Also the sound on the 374 was a little bright to me. The values worked fine and were actually fairly quiet to what I am used to. The ergonomics of the 374 are decent. The fourth value is not hard to reach. It is also a fairly light horn. My reason for saying I do not thing it is worth upgrading is that I played both the 374 and my personal horn in the same room and mouthpiece and could barely hear a difference in the tone, intonation, or clarity than my personal horn. Projection wise, I preferred my personal horn. Just as a disclaimer, I am no professional and am only a freshman in college. When it comes to my personal horn (Chinese made), it is actually pretty good for the price (paid $1,600 for it). It is overall a good horn and served me well in high school. I am a lot stronger of a player now and actually need a professional horn. It was made by Jinbao I believe, but was branded by an American music company locally where I am from. If you are looking for a good, amateur horn, then I would recommend a Chinese made horn or a Wessex Dolce. For professional horns, my choices would be a sterling virtuoso, a yamaha neo, or my personal favorite a hirsbrunner. I hope this answers any questions you may have and sorry for any extra information.
    Thank you. Can you clarify as to the factors that make it feel like a mid range euphonium as opposed to a professional model like the Virtuoso?

9. Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Thank you. Can you clarify as to the factors that make it feel like a mid range euphonium as opposed to a professional model like the Virtuoso?
    If you are looking for a professional horn, a Virtuoso is a great option. Many of the professionals that I respect and listen to have played with a Virtuoso. If you have the money for a Virtuoso, then I would say go ahead and get that over the mid range euphoniums. The reason I say this is that low and mid range euphoniums are not has well made, the material used to make them is not as good, resistance, tone, durability and intonation are also not has good as a top professional model. My only disclaimer to what I just said is that unless you are a serious euphonium player or a professional, you may not here all of the slight differences between the instruments. Most of the Chinese instruments have become good enough in quality that they will fit most players. Again, I hope this answers your questions. If you want any information about horns I have played or done research on, please feel free to private message me.

Just remember, there are always professional USED horns looking for a good home. I picked up an older Sterling Perantucci model for less than a new Eastman 374 would cost.

Baltimore brass had a Yamaha YEP-642 in lacquer (non neo version) for around $3500. Just keep looking.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast