X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeBMiller
    • Oct 2019

Intonation and alternate tuning question

On my Willson 2704 non-comp horn, the A at the top of the bass clef staff is about 30 cents flat, no matter how I finger it, even when the rest of the horn is in good tune. Is that just a quirk on this particular horn?

And I was wondering if anyone ever tried tuning their 4th valve to B/E instead of C/F? The C and low F on the Willson are in pretty good intonation with 1/3. I was thinking that if I could tune the 4th valve to E, it would make for less use of the somewhat awkward 2/4 combination. The only problem is that one side of that tuning slide is too short to make this adjustment, so I would have to get someone to make those tubes just a bit longer. Or maybe even get a separate slide made for using it in E rather than F.

Thanks for any input.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Willsons in general are quite flat on the A, and often (on the compensating models) sharp on the F just below. (That makes the opening phrase of Endearing Young Charms an interesting challenge: A, G, F.)

I moved your previous question of 4th valve tuning to a new location, instead of being part of a non-related discussion:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ve-Differently
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
    X