Thread: Playing cues for other instruments

Playing cues for other instruments

In another thread there’s a discussion about how to play bassoon cues. I was reminded that sometimes we’re asked to play cues for bassoon, horn, tenor or bari sax, etc. It’s a good idea to get familiar with any cues we might have on our part. You never know when you might be asked to play those cues.

Many years ago I was playing in a comm. band where Fred Dart was conducting. At the concert the bassoonist was out sick and we opened with William Tell Overture. The piece starts with two short solos by bassoon. Not technical but covers a little over two octaves. Fred pointed to me to play it. Needless to say it didn’t go perfectly. Ever since then I make sure I can play any cues on my part.

William Tell Overture - Rossini
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    In another thread there’s a discussion about how to play bassoon cues. I was reminded that sometimes we’re asked to play cues for bassoon, horn, tenor or bari sax, etc. It’s a good idea to get familiar with any cues we might have on our part. You never know when you might be asked to play those cues.
    ...Ever since then I make sure I can play any cues on my part.
    You, sir, are a wise man!

I love playing other instruments' parts when needed because it presents a different kind of challenge (often). The CG Band was without a bassoon for a couple months, and I played a lot of bassoon material during that time. It was a ball, but a little tricky at times!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Not sure how wise I am but thanks Dave.

I just remembered that at that concert mentioned above the tuba player sitting next to me was Landres Bryant, a H.S. Sophomore at Dreyfoos School of the Arts. He's now principal tuba at "The President's Own". He's sitting first in the video linked above. I remember Landres talking to me afterwards and seemed embarrassed for me. He was a great player even back then. When warming up I could hear 6 or 7 octaves.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)