Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't like the 51D on my Mack Euphonium

1. One more thing what is the difference between the SM4 and the Dennis wick 4AL?

I also own a Mack Euphonium and am using a Wick 4AL for a couple of years now. It works well and I highly recommend it. You can get a silver plated one for $62.95 at brass wind. The Mead Ultra is nice as well and I use it also. Either would serve you well. I would recommend that you consult a private teacher. One lesson would cost less than a new mouthpiece and can really help improve your playing. Best wishes in your search.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    I also own a Mack Euphonium and am using a Wick 4AL for a couple of years now. It works well and I highly recommend it. You can get a silver plated one for $62.95 at brass wind. The Mead Ultra is nice as well and I use it also. Either would serve you well. I would recommend that you consult a private teacher. One lesson would cost less than a new mouthpiece and can really help improve your playing. Best wishes in your search.
    Here is the link to Brasswind's offer ($62.95):
    https://www.wwbw.com/Denis-Wick-DW58...ck 4al&index=3

One reason I like suggesting this one for 51D users is experience with a few people who have made that exact switch. Without going into your specific desires, I can say that the players who switched (one of whom is a well-known pro-level player) all sounded better on the 4AL and chose to stay with it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by dellaney8 View Post
    One more thing what is the difference between the SM4 and the Dennis wick 4AL?
    inner cup shape, outer cup shape, transition from cup to throat are different. The bite of the rim is slightly more rounded on the SM4.

I have played my Mack Brass euphonium on a CKB/UMI/King (all the same mp) 5G and it's a good match.

It's not the same mouthpiece as a Bach 5G. It's a bit bigger and a bit deeper and it works very well and is comfortable.

They are not shaped like Bachs on the outside, but look like Wicks-- i.e tulip shaped.

A good and usually inexpensive place to start.

These mps are no longer made, but you often can find them used in very good shape and for a good price. I bought a couple of new/old stock a couple of years ago that were still in the boxes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12