Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shires euphonium

Like Brandon Jones, Bente Illevold is now a Shires euphonium artist. Bente has recently adopted a Shires Q41 in silver plate sporting a large receiver. Her Mouthpiece is a Doug Elliott Euph 103 H* H9.

In an email this morning, Bente has shared with me her enthusiasm for her new euph, and has given me permission to share her observations on this forum.

While she aptly reminded me that “it`s all about the musician behind the horn. You can`t find a horn that gives you everything, but you can find a horn that handles everything you give&#”, here are Bente Illevold’s observations:

“I love the intonation in the Shires Q41. It’s incredible and the best I ever experienced in an euphonium!

I also love the tone quality. I often think that people on Willson sound the same, sort of your horn is forcing you to sound in a specific way - the sort
    Of traditional military band way of playing in my perspective.
    So I wanted to get a horn that allows me to sound the way I want, and where I can shape colors the way I want.
    I find the Shires amazing that way.
    I also love the valves, both easy and clean.

Shires plays really easy, and for me it’s a perfect horn Or, the closest you’ll get to perfect!”

Meantime, Bente is progressively posting her Q41 videos on YouTube. Yesterday she contributed her latest clip: Three Songs by Edvard Grieg. You will find it, together with her wonderful performance of her own transcription for euphonium and piano of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo’ Theme, on her channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hattifnatt111

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    ...While she aptly reminded me that “it`s all about the musician behind the horn. You can`t find a horn that gives you everything, but you can find a horn that handles everything you give&#”...
    That is a very concise way to say it!

AND, thanks for getting her permission to quote her! Sometimes people express opinions in private that they would not want public, and it is always best to check.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I played a concert and a recording session last summer with Brandon Jones when he got his and it sounded wonderful. Unfortunately, the Q41 Shires brought with them to TUSABTEW sold almost instantly (to Laura Lineberger) so I didn't have a chance to try one for myself there. I also recently heard Hiram Diaz play a joint recital with Tormod Flaten. Hiram was playing the Q41 and Tormod a Besson. Their sounds were extremely similar, more so than I would have guessed they would be, with the Besson being a little more focused. I preferred Tormod's sound, but only just slightly -- and, of course, he was working that tuning trigger very hard! The instrument isn't the only factor there, but Hiram is one of my absolute favorite players.

I see also that Shires was teasing a Custom euphonium (all US-made) on their social media accounts, so that must be coming soon as well.
    --
    Barry

Hello Barry, last week I asked Alexis at Shires about the hinted Custom Series euphonium.

She suggested that it might be ready sometimes next year.

Such Custom eupho would be apparently completely manufactured at Shires in the us. Apparently it would largely follow the design of Q40/Q41, but would offer a variety of user-selectable options, yet unspecified.

Price is TBD, and would be somewhat higher than Q-series euphos.

Saluti, Guido

Link here:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B8jTOBKF..._web_copy_link

As someone who has bought (and now sold off) at least seven new Shires trombones, I don't think I'd buy another Shires instrument at this point regardless of how good they were -- but it's fun to see what they've made.

--
    Barry

Posted some 12 hours ago, a new clip with Bente Illevold on her Q41...

Cosma Euphonium Concerto, 2nd movement (andantino):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwJaUfcRx1k

Saluti, G.

7. Hi all! I wanted to share a link to my performance of the Kevin Day euphonium concerto on the Shires Q41. Enjoy, and please let me know if you have any questions! Mouthpiece is an Ivan Giddings creation, so good I decided to use it for the concerto just 3 weeks before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwpAMblpL8

Thanks for posting it, Hiram! I hope everyone takes time to listen to it. This performance is a doozy!! (I'm watching "Hazel" right now, so doozy seemed like a good word to describe an outstanding performance!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

9. I was there for that. The performance was AMAZING! I was beyond impressed by both the piece and the performance.
    I'm sure that Hiram is being humble, and not to take anything away from the other soloists, but I will also add that he was the only person who got a standing ovation at the end of his piece.
    Doug Prowant
    Former Band Director, Current IT Nerd
    Besson New Standard
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Besson 765
    Besson Brevete Baritone
    Conn 88H Trombone

Gone but not forgotten:
    King 2280S
    Willson 2900S
    Wessex Dolce

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    I was there for that. The performance was AMAZING!
    I listened to it on YouTube and I agree that it was amazing. Coincidentally, YouTube automatically queued up another video right after that - Demondrae Thurman playing the same piece!
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast