Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shires euphonium

A couple pictures from DillonAttachment 7286Attachment 7287

Having played examples of each, but never identical instruments with the bead wire being the only difference, I can't speak directly to what the soldered bead wire does on euphonium. I do however have some experience with it on trombone where some of the manufacturers make the same bell in both configurations. I'll share the descriptions from Edwards and Shires web sites:

Edwards:
    A soldered bell tends to have a very centered sound with a lot of core (fundamental). The articulations are slightly dampened and softer with the solder, while the sound is more direct and compact.
    An unsoldered bell
    has a very wide sound with more overtones. Articulations are easier with an unsoldered rim. More near feel is apparent with these bells as the sound is wider, which helps give the player more feedback.

Shires:
    Soldered bead favors pointed articulations and centered sound, more stability to the sustain of tone.
    Unsoldered bead favors broad, wider, and more diffuse sound and softer, more covered articulations.

I find their descriptions to be very accurate, although they are a bit at odds with each other with regards to the effect on articulations. I find Shires description to be more in line with my experience, but it's not a black or white thing - it's a little bit complex. The biggest difference to me is the way the instrument centers or slots, with the soldered bead locking in to a more stable feel than the unsoldered.
    --
    Barry

Thank you Barry, that clarifies it perfectly for me !

I tried both the 12' and 11.5' models at ITEC. They were both good but I enjoyed the 11.5' version better, I do believe it had a heavier bell. Outside of the Prestige and Yamaha 842 it was one of the best horns I played there.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces

It looks like Norwegian euphonium soloist Bente Illivold has switched to the new Shires euphonium. She posted about it on the Facebook page today. There are no details as to which model but she had been playing a Willson 2800TA with the large shank and was using the Doug Elliott mouthpiece she has been using with the Willson on the Shires.

From SE Shire's post, I saw the hashtag #Q41, so I am guessing she picked the Q41.

Thought she would be getting the Custom series.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

For a Willson artist to switch to Shires is not surprising, since its development involved a lot of Willson players as advisers. Hiram Diaz (Marine Band) told me he likes his Shires better than his Willson!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I am certainly NOT in the same league of performance as you Dave as well as most on this forum, but at this point, I am using my Shires Q40 more than the Neo, especially for solo work when one has to stand. To me, it’s a superb instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    For a Willson artist to switch to Shires is not surprising, since its development involved a lot of Willson players as advisers. Hiram Diaz (Marine Band) told me he likes his Shires better than his Willson!
    Good point. Maybe Shires has targeted the 2900 which has had a long history in the service bands and with students of Dr. Bowman. It’s iconic in the concert band world. But as we know it has intonation quirks and many say it’s sound is not as flexible as the competition. If Shires has done a better job, we could see more of this.

Hello everyone: first of all best wishes to everyone for a happy 2020
    I am noticing that the new euphoniums Shires are getting more and more acclaim. Norwegian artist Bente Illevold has recently moved from Willson to Shires: Brandon Jones has also joined the S.E. Shires team of artists and clinicians. Listening to the sound of the Shires, it looks more like Willson sound than Adams. I'd like to know how the Shires Q41 compares to the Adams E3 0,7.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast