Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shires euphonium

Shires euphonium

Just happened to notice that Dillon Music has the Shires Q series euphonium in stock, with either a large shank or euro shank receiver, both in silver, interesting. Not at an outrageous price either.

Did send a request to Dillon asking about images as there are none at present, so not sure of its configuration (valves) although the models are compensating.
    Last edited by Nbnarcisi; 11-14-2019 at 03:54 AM. Reason: additional info

Information and pricing for te Shires Q eupho at:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/shires-q...657&quantity=1

There appear to be at least two versions: one wit a 12" bell, and te other one with an 11.5" bell, lighter gage bell, and Nickel (nickel-silver?) lead pipe. According to the description, the latter might yield a more brilliant tone.

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I think the 11.5" bell is actually a heavier gauge bell. I think the 11.5" bell model is intended to compete with the Willson 2900. Notice that while both models are available with both sizes of receiver, they have the Q41 in stock with the medium receiver and the Q40 in stock with the large.
    --
    Barry

Here are the descriptions on the Dillon Music site for the Q40 and Q41. Q40 seems to have a "medium weight" bell... Q41 is said to have a "standard weight" bell... No exact gage is given, so mine was a guess:

"The Q40S euphonium provides an open and free blowing feel with the clarity of sound and excellent projection that has
    made S.E. Shires instruments the favorites of players the world over. Featuring a 12-inch, two-piece, hand-hammered upright
    bell in medium-weight yellow brass with soldered bead, this compensating euphonium in B♭ delivers a broad and warm
    timbre throughout the range of the instrument. At home in any ensemble or solo performance, the Q40S euphonium is an
    excellent choice for any musician.

• Key: B♭, compensating system
    • .591” bore, .669” 4th valve bore
    • 12-inch, two-piece, hand-hammered upright bell in medium-weight yellow brass with soldered bead
    • Brass Leadpipe
    • Stainless steel pistons
    • Large shank mouthpiece receiver
    • Silver-plated finish
    • Includes Q Series euphonium case, mouthpiece, and care kit

The Q41S euphonium provides a balanced feel and ease of playing with the clarity that musicians would search for. Featuring
    a more compact 11.5-inch, two-piece, hand-hammered upright bell in standard-weight yellow brass with unsoldered bead,
    this compensating euphonium in B♭ delivers a clear and powerful sound that projects effortlessly throughout the range of
    the instrument. At home in any ensemble or solo performance, the Q41S euphonium is an excellent choice for any musician.

• Key: B♭, compensating system
    • .591” bore, .669” 4th valve bore
    • 11.5-inch, two-piece, hand-hammered upright bell in standard-weight yellow brass with unsoldered bead
    • Nickel Leadpipe
    • Stainless steel pistons
    • Large shank mouthpiece receiver
    • Silver-plated finish
    • Includes Q Series euphonium case, mouthpiece, and care kit"

Regards, G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

It is significant to note that the 41 has a soldered bell bead, while the 40 has an unsoldered (crimped) bead.

FWIW, my impressions of the Shires euphoniums are part of this blog post:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...ing-Euphoniums

Here is the intonation run I did for the Q41 (click it for a larger view):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shires Q41.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	7266
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. I noticed this too! Very curious as to what makes its price so much lower compared to its counterparts in willson, besson, adams, yamaha, etc.
    Last edited by Jasoncostello77; 11-15-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoncostello77 View Post
    I noticed this too! Very curious as to what makes its price so much lower compared to its counterparts in willson, besson, adams, yamaha, etc.
    If you can look at the link to Dave’s review, it says they are made in Shire’s own factory in China. I’m sure the inexpensive labor contributes to the relatively low price.

I just got back from hearing Hiram Diaz perform on a brand new production model Q41 medium shank. He was performing at Montclair State in New Jersey with his Quintet, High Bridge Brass https://www.highbridgebrass.com/ a conical quintet with amazing other players (Chris Martin, NY Phil, Mark Ridenour, Chicago Symphony).

I was was amazed at not only how good Hiram sounded, but at the variety of tone color he was able to get out of the Shires (seemed to my ear far more flexible than the willson typically is).

It it was also quite a treat to hear him “warming down” by playing orchestral tuba excerpts on euphonium. I had to look twice to make sure it was him playing and not Chris Tideman, the tuba player. No stuffiness in the low register with THAT medium shank horn.

Don Winston

Dave,
    I understand the difference between a soldered bell bead and a crimped bell bead, but is there a difference in sound/projection/or any other characteristics ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nbnarcisi View Post
    Dave,
    I understand the difference between a soldered bell bead and a crimped bell bead, but is there a difference in sound/projection/or any other characteristics ?
    In theory there is a difference in sound, but I'm not sure about projection. I didn't have time to test both models enough to figure out much else.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast