Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristianeSparkle
    • Jun 2018

From SE Shire's post, I saw the hashtag #Q41, so I am guessing she picked the Q41.

Thought she would be getting the Custom series.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

For a Willson artist to switch to Shires is not surprising, since its development involved a lot of Willson players as advisers. Hiram Diaz (Marine Band) told me he likes his Shires better than his Willson!
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Nbnarcisi
        • Jul 2017

I am certainly NOT in the same league of performance as you Dave as well as most on this forum, but at this point, I am using my Shires Q40 more than the Neo, especially for solo work when one has to stand. To me, it’s a superb instrument.

Comment

• MichaelSchott
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
          For a Willson artist to switch to Shires is not surprising, since its development involved a lot of Willson players as advisers. Hiram Diaz (Marine Band) told me he likes his Shires better than his Willson!
          Good point. Maybe Shires has targeted the 2900 which has had a long history in the service bands and with students of Dr. Bowman. It’s iconic in the concert band world. But as we know it has intonation quirks and many say it’s sound is not as flexible as the competition. If Shires has done a better job, we could see more of this.

Comment

• franz
            • Dec 2015

Hello everyone: first of all best wishes to everyone for a happy 2020
            I am noticing that the new euphoniums Shires are getting more and more acclaim. Norwegian artist Bente Illevold has recently moved from Willson to Shires: Brandon Jones has also joined the S.E. Shires team of artists and clinicians. Listening to the sound of the Shires, it looks more like Willson sound than Adams. I'd like to know how the Shires Q41 compares to the Adams E3 0,7.
            2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• guidocorona
              • Jun 2018

Like Brandon Jones, Bente Illevold is now a Shires euphonium artist. Bente has recently adopted a Shires Q41 in silver plate sporting a large receiver. Her Mouthpiece is a Doug Elliott Euph 103 H* H9.

In an email this morning, Bente has shared with me her enthusiasm for her new euph, and has given me permission to share her observations on this forum.

While she aptly reminded me that “it`s all about the musician behind the horn. You can`t find a horn that gives you everything, but you can find a horn that handles everything you give&#”, here are Bente Illevold’s observations:

“I love the intonation in the Shires Q41. It’s incredible and the best I ever experienced in an euphonium!

I also love the tone quality. I often think that people on Willson sound the same, sort of your horn is forcing you to sound in a specific way - the sort
              Of traditional military band way of playing in my perspective.
              So I wanted to get a horn that allows me to sound the way I want, and where I can shape colors the way I want.
              I find the Shires amazing that way.
              I also love the valves, both easy and clean.

Shires plays really easy, and for me it’s a perfect horn Or, the closest you’ll get to perfect!”

Meantime, Bente is progressively posting her Q41 videos on YouTube. Yesterday she contributed her latest clip: Three Songs by Edvard Grieg. You will find it, together with her wonderful performance of her own transcription for euphonium and piano of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo’ Theme, on her channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hattifnatt111

Saluti, Guido
              M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
              Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
              Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
                ...While she aptly reminded me that “it`s all about the musician behind the horn. You can`t find a horn that gives you everything, but you can find a horn that handles everything you give&#”...
                That is a very concise way to say it!

AND, thanks for getting her permission to quote her! Sometimes people express opinions in private that they would not want public, and it is always best to check.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• bbocaner
                  • May 2009

I played a concert and a recording session last summer with Brandon Jones when he got his and it sounded wonderful. Unfortunately, the Q41 Shires brought with them to TUSABTEW sold almost instantly (to Laura Lineberger) so I didn't have a chance to try one for myself there. I also recently heard Hiram Diaz play a joint recital with Tormod Flaten. Hiram was playing the Q41 and Tormod a Besson. Their sounds were extremely similar, more so than I would have guessed they would be, with the Besson being a little more focused. I preferred Tormod's sound, but only just slightly -- and, of course, he was working that tuning trigger very hard! The instrument isn't the only factor there, but Hiram is one of my absolute favorite players.

I see also that Shires was teasing a Custom euphonium (all US-made) on their social media accounts, so that must be coming soon as well.
                  --
                  Barry

Comment

• guidocorona
                    • Jun 2018

Hello Barry, last week I asked Alexis at Shires about the hinted Custom Series euphonium.

She suggested that it might be ready sometimes next year.

Such Custom eupho would be apparently completely manufactured at Shires in the us. Apparently it would largely follow the design of Q40/Q41, but would offer a variety of user-selectable options, yet unspecified.

Price is TBD, and would be somewhat higher than Q-series euphos.

Saluti, Guido

Comment

• bbocaner
                      • May 2009

Link here:
                      https://www.instagram.com/p/B8jTOBKF..._web_copy_link

As someone who has bought (and now sold off) at least seven new Shires trombones, I don't think I'd buy another Shires instrument at this point regardless of how good they were -- but it's fun to see what they've made.

--
                      Barry

Comment

• guidocorona
                        • Jun 2018

Posted some 12 hours ago, a new clip with Bente Illevold on her Q41...

Cosma Euphonium Concerto, 2nd movement (andantino):
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwJaUfcRx1k

Saluti, G.

Comment

• Hiramdiaz1
                          • May 2012

Hi all! I wanted to share a link to my performance of the Kevin Day euphonium concerto on the Shires Q41. Enjoy, and please let me know if you have any questions! Mouthpiece is an Ivan Giddings creation, so good I decided to use it for the concerto just 3 weeks before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwpAMblpL8

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Thanks for posting it, Hiram! I hope everyone takes time to listen to it. This performance is a doozy!! (I'm watching "Hazel" right now, so doozy seemed like a good word to describe an outstanding performance!)
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• Clutch
                              • Jan 2017

I was there for that. The performance was AMAZING! I was beyond impressed by both the piece and the performance.
                              I'm sure that Hiram is being humble, and not to take anything away from the other soloists, but I will also add that he was the only person who got a standing ovation at the end of his piece.
                              Doug Prowant
                              Former Band Director, Current IT Nerd
                              Besson New Standard
                              Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
                              Besson 765
                              Besson Brevete Baritone
                              Conn 88H Trombone

Gone but not forgotten:
                              King 2280S
                              Willson 2900S
                              Wessex Dolce

Comment

• dsurkin
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Clutch View Post
                                I was there for that. The performance was AMAZING!
                                I listened to it on YouTube and I agree that it was amazing. Coincidentally, YouTube automatically queued up another video right after that - Demondrae Thurman playing the same piece!
                                Dean L. Surkin
                                Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                                Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                                Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                                See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

Working...
                                X