Thread: Adjusting triggered tuning slide pre performance

Adjusting triggered tuning slide pre performance

Do most of you with a triggered tuning slide have to adjust the slide with the screw locking mechanism prior to performance, i.e. tuning with the band, ensemble or piano tuning note?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    On any of the euphoniums I have owned with a trigger for the main tuning slide, there is a mechanism (barrel) to move the tuning slide in or out (separate from the actual trigger). I adjust this to position the main tuning slide where it should be when tuning the horn. Just like any main tuning slide without a trigger, you adjust the main tuning slide when tuning your horn (with a band, with a tuner, with a piano, etc.). So, you start with (usually) your open Bb concert in tune without using the trigger (at least this is what I do). I then use the trigger on longer notes that play sharp (or my lip in some cases). Not much you can do on notes that play flat except lip them up.

I suppose there are some who may tune their horn a little sharp to begin with to avoid any flat notes, but then they would need to use the trigger MUCH more or use their lip much more on the sharp notes. I would not take this approach. I know the notes that tend to play flat on my horn (everyone should know their own horn's tendencies) and automatically compensate with my lip (and my ear) on those notes. Same to, for the sharp notes. I know which ones are sharp, and for a longer note that tends to be sharp, I add trigger usually a hair before the attack on the note. Then adjust the trigger or lip as needed.

My own horn that I play now, the Adams E3, has a trigger, but I must confess, I rarely use it. It plays really well in tune, and the notes that are off are easily handled with my chops. But I will engage it sometimes on an F above the staff. I could have used a trigger much more on some of my previous horns that did not have one.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John. That's as I thought, but being new to the trigger, I'm still working out my procedures.