I bought a used horn just before Labor Day, from a very reputable dealer, and I’ve practiced an hour every day since I’ve had it.
I’m especially pleased with the fact that until about a week ago, I was able to produce a pretty solid tone for a beginner of about 8 months. Around a week ago, my tone started to get slightly thinner, insecure, and unstable. I had worked as usual on my lesson material, and wasn’t able to come anywhere near my own expectations at my lesson.
My teacher thought it was just an off day for me and was unconcerned but I can’t help thinking there’s something wrong beyond that, so I took the valves apart and found quite a bit of stuff, some black and some otherwise in them. I also shook the horn upside down, which I do once in a while to clear water, and it sounded more like it had previously then reverted to the most recent problem.
The horn looks as though it was VERY lightly used before I bought it, maybe a demo?, and I know nothing about it’s prior owner.
I’m considering having it washed at a local shop. Good idea? I just can’t accept the idea that I’d made totally steady progress and then began to mess up as badly as I am now.
Thank you for any thoughts!