Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Question - Should I get my horn washed at a shop?

1. Even though I work religiously to keep my horns clean, I also use a professional service to clean them every couple of years, or so. The Herco Spitballs, various cleaning swabs, and my Quick Horn Rinse all do a good job, getting rid of the "green stuff" and generally keeping the horn clean, but they do not deal with the gradual buildup of calcium deposits on valves and tubes, nor do they adequately clean out construction residue (polishing dust, etc.). Plus, as an amateur, I do not have the means to correct solder blobs, make minor repairs, or insure perfect valve alignment that a professional technician does.

Since I have reduced my collection to just three horns (Sterling Virtuoso euphonium and baritone and Adams E3 euphonium), I decided to splurge this winter and all three have been treated to the professional chem clean service at Osmun Music in Acton, MA. Jim Engele and Jim Becker at Osmun's do a fantastic job, but the service is pretty expensive ($259 for a 4 valve compensating horn). My 11 year old Sterling euph needed some solder repairs in addition to cleaning and my 2 1/2 year old Adams had never been professionally cleaned since new so some of the construction residue (polish compound etc.) was still in its innards. I supplied valve felts and guides as necessary since I maintain a supply. I also had all three horns checked for valve alignment upon re-assembly.

Voila! Three like new horns for the New Year. Happy New Year all!

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 01-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Even though I work religiously to keep my horns clean, I also use a professional service to clean them every couple of years, or so. The Herco Spitballs, various cleaning swabs, and my Quick Horn Rinse all do a good job, getting rid of the "green stuff" and generally keeping the horn clean, but they do not deal with the gradual buildup of calcium deposits on valves and tubes, nor do they adequately clean out construction residue (polishing dust, etc.). Plus, as an amateur, I do not have the means to correct solder blobs, make minor repairs, or insure perfect valve alignment that a professional technician does.

Since I have reduced my collection to just three horns (Sterling Virtuoso euphonium and baritone and Adams E3 euphonium), I decided to splurge this winter and all three have been treated to the professional chem clean service at Osmun Music in Acton, MA. Jim Engele and Jim Becker at Osmun's do a fantastic job, but the service is pretty expensive ($259 for a 4 valve compensating horn). My 11 year old Sterling euph needed some solder repairs in addition to cleaning and my 2 1/2 year old Adams had never been professionally cleaned since new so some of the construction residue (polish compound etc.) was still in its innards. I supplied valve felts and guides as necessary since I maintain a supply. I also had all three horns checked for valve alignment upon re-assembly.

Voila! Three like new horns for the New Year. Happy New Year all!

Doug
    Hi Doug. The quick horn rinse seems to be available for large bore (euphoniums) and small bore (cornets) do you need to buy both or just an extra adaptor if you want to clean both types of instrument. I get no reply when I have tried asking suppliers

3. Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Hi Doug. The quick horn rinse seems to be available for large bore (euphoniums) and small bore (cornets) do you need to buy both or just an extra adaptor if you want to clean both types of instrument. I get no reply when I have tried asking suppliers
    Graeme,

The gentleman (Bob Ricker) who invented and sold the QHR passed away a couple of years ago. While is Euphonium Horn Strap has been picked up by someone else, I am not aware that anyone has come out with a QHR equivalent. Back in the day, the difference between small bore and large bore was just the adapter from the body of the QHR to the receiver of the instrument.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. [QUOTE=daruby;153750]Graeme,

The gentleman (Bob Ricker) who invented and sold the QHR passed away a couple of years ago. While is Euphonium Horn Strap has been picked up by someone else, I am not aware that anyone has come out with a QHR equivalent. Back in the day, the difference between small bore and large bore was just the adapter from the body of the QHR to the receiver of the instrument.

Thanks Doug. A few days ago they were on Amazon and I put my question to the company selling them but as I said got no reply, I see today that they have been removed from Amazon. Maybe I can find something similar,

Who is running the quick horn rinse website then? Did it get sold to someone else? I wasn't aware the founder had died, but one of the first things I did was order the hand strap from this website, and it came in a week.

http://stores.quickhornrinse.com/
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

6. Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Who is running the quick horn rinse website then? Did it get sold to someone else? I wasn't aware the founder had died, but one of the first things I did was order the hand strap from this website, and it came in a week.

Yes I sent my question to this company's email address on 29/12/19 and had no reply I also see they are only now showing a small bore QHR

7. Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post

Hi tbone I ordered the small bore QHR several days ago but it is still showing awaiting fulfilment and I cannot get replies to my emails seems you did well getting your order.

8. Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Hi tbone I ordered the small bore QHR several days ago but it is still showing awaiting fulfilment and I cannot get replies to my emails seems you did well getting your order.
    QHR has cancelled my order with no communication so if anyone has one for sale please PM me I am in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Herco Spitballs for large bore instruments. See this post by Doug for more info with link:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...481#post123481

Note: When using Herco Spitballs, firstly remove your MTS (main tuning slide), insert a spitball into your lead-pipe then push it down with a pencil a few inches. Then insert your mouthpiece, put one hand with a rag or paper towel under your MTS tubing to catch the ball, hold down all 4 valves then BLOW thru your mpc as hard as you can.
    Also, make sure all of your slide are tight and that you are not over a hard surface. One time, when I blew the spit ball through the horn, my second valve slide shot out and landed on the floor. I hadn't greased it a while, so it must have been a bit loose. Luckily no damage, but it was scary!

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12