Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson Anniversary Euphonium, York, Prestige, and relative merit

Besson Anniversary Euphonium, York, Prestige, and relative merit

So Besson did a handful of Besson 180th anniversary euphoniums in the frosted finish; I believe they are sovereigns with an added trigger.

I saw Lee Harrelson playing one this weekend with Fountain City rather than his prestige; I found it odd but I thought it was interesting.

Does anyone know whether the sovereign is differently constructed than the prestige? Is this a simple instance of a preferred finish?

I’ve played a handful of prestige horns, and I own two German made baritones. With the two baritones, they play significantly differently. Of the 3 prestige euphoniums I’ve played, they also play significantly differently. (All are German made).

Is it possible the sovereign is more consistent somehow?

When York was producing the eminence was there also such a huge variance?

Am I just being over sensitive?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!

Thanks for indulging me!
    Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Hi Mike
    ive only seen sponsered players on the aniversary euph so far. Tryed one against many others earlier this year. From memory: german sov bassed so 1st comp loop now has no slide so you cant easily check valve alingment. A tech friend also told me something about the way the frosted finish is applied therefore difficult to hide repairs. It had a nice sound almost imperial on steroids but nothing like as big as the german prestige which i have sold on as its a little bright for me!

German sov is very flexible but even brighter than german prestige with the exception of the triggered sov which can be darker than the prestige.... they all varry so much! My Emminence is like a uk prrestige on a good day... dark sounding like a round stamp.....
    back to work.....
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

3. I play tested an Anniversary Special and a regular 967 in April this year.
    Loved the feel and sound of the regular 967 I tested, it sounded big and sonorous.
    I didn't love feel or sound of the Anniversary model - it had an airy sound.

Not sure if it's me preferring one model over another, or if it's just inconsistencies between one Besson and another.

I have the same curiosity - Definitely my two besson baritones are very different despite both being of German manufacture.

Is besson still reputed to be inconsistent in quality, I wonder? Obviously any two horns will be a bit different, but wildly different seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    I play tested an Anniversary Special and a regular 967 in April this year.
    Loved the feel and sound of the regular 967 I tested, it sounded big and sonorous.
    I didn't love feel or sound of the Anniversary model - it had an airy sound.

Not sure if it's me preferring one model over another, or if it's just inconsistencies between one Besson and another.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

When I bought a Prestige in 2011 I tried six of them and five of them were almost indistinguishable and the sixth had some obvious quality defects (sharp edges on the guard wires, bottom vent hole on the 4th piston not completely machined out) but played ever so slightly better with regards to how it centered and responded. Once I got that stuff fixed on the sixth one it was a winner. I may not be the best player in the world, but I'm really sensitive to small changes in instruments. This is a fairly small sample size, but my conclusion from this is that they are pretty good when it comes to consistency but there still are slight differences. I think a larger factor is that they have been changing the design little by little of their instruments since 2007.

As a comparison, I got two Adams E3 euphoniums with identical specifications and the second one played like a whole different instrument!
    --
    Barry

6. Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I saw Lee Harrelson playing one this weekend with Fountain City rather than his prestige; I found it odd but I thought it was interesting.
    By the way I came across a Facebook post the other week which identified that frosted euphonium is a refurbished Besson New Standard with an 11" bell (and not a new 967 anniversary special).

In that case, I find it even more surprising!

Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    By the way I came across a Facebook post the other week which identified that frosted euphonium is a refurbished Besson New Standard with an 11" bell (and not a new 967 anniversary special).
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

8. Why one would use an older Bossey Imperial (or Besson New standard as your prefer) rather than the Prestige? Not saying that the older Besson is bad but why? What one would use one than th other? Also, I asume that that New Standard have really nice tunning as the gentleman who is used to use a trigger on his Prestige would use a New Standard without one.

Very interesting.
    Some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by joshealejo View Post
    Why one would use an older Bossey Imperial (or Besson New standard as your prefer) rather than the Prestige? Not saying that the older Besson is bad but why? What one would use one than th other? Also, I asume that that New Standard have really nice tunning as the gentleman who is used to use a trigger on his Prestige would use a New Standard without one.

Very interesting.
    I can think of 2 reasons. First is cost. Second is the Prestige gives a big dark sound. Many prefer the old lighter classic Besson sound. I played a mid 70’s Boosey Sovereign in college which had that sound.

10. Quote Originally Posted by joshealejo View Post
    Why one would use an older Bossey Imperial (or Besson New standard as your prefer) rather than the Prestige? Not saying that the older Besson is bad but why? What one would use one than the other? Also, I assume that that New Standard have really nice tuning as the gentleman who is used to use a trigger on his Prestige would use a New Standard without one.
    The New Standard/Imperial of the late 1950s through very early 1970s had an 11" bell and medium shank receiver. They had an absolutely beautiful, melodic, smooth sound in the hands of better players. Their intonation was MUCH better than later Sovereign and Prestige models with just a slightly sharp 6th partial. I tested my 1970 New Standard using a chromatic StroboConn back in the day. The horn was dead on across a 2 1/2 octave range except the Eb/E/F 6th partial which was just slightly sharp. Response was great and I never had a problem soaring above a wind band when doing solo licks in pieces like Bydlo, Holst Suites, etc.

These horns are very comparable to the Willson 2900 in sound and playability. If I had one in great condition today I would actually use it with a Wick 4AM (I use a Wick 4AL on my other horns). I would also convert the valves to plastic screw in guides and use modern felts. I would NOT convert it to bass trombone shank, however. It would be a fantastic solo, small ensemble, or wind band horn. I would not, however use it in brass band.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast