Thread: Rebuild of old double belled eurphonium

Rebuild of old double belled eurphonium

I thought many of you would like to see these photos of an old double-belled euphonium that came to Merlin Grady's repair shop in parts and he completely rebuilt.

Merlin is kind of a legend as a repair man here in Iowa-- he just finished reworking 2 of my trombone slides--and sometimes he tackles extreme projects such as these. He operates out of a shop out in the country just south of Waterloo, Iowa.

If you're looking for a good repairman, I've linked to testimonials about him as well.

http://www.merlingrady.com/projects/...lbaritone.html

If you open the link you can see the pics.

Here are the testimonials.

http://www.merlingrady.com/testimonials.html

2. That is some nice work. Sounds like he even scratch built a change valve for it. One of my double bell euphs is missing the change valve making the restoration project a non-starter so far. But this gets me to thinking...
    Last edited by Will; 11-08-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ty%20band&sm=3

Beautiful instrument! Unless I'm not seeing something correctly I believe the engraving on the bell reads USQMC not USMC. If I'm right you might want to have Grady correct the description on his web page.
    Last edited by SteveP; 11-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Beautiful instrument! Unless I'm not seeing something correctly I believe the engraving on the bell reads USQMC not USMC. If I'm right you might want to have Grady correct the description on his web page.
    What would USQMC stand for? US Quarter Master Corp?

I believe so, yes.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

6. USQMC does mean US Quarter Master Corp, It would also mean the horn was purchased after 1912 and before 1962, when the USQMC became the Army Materiel Command. USQMC was stamped on horns that were purchased for general use throughout the US Army. I had a 1941 Holton dbl bell that had USQMC on it.

I believe horns that were purchased for the Washington DC bands most likely had their own stampings.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band