Thread: Tuning Question

Tuning Question

I have a Wessex Dolce, which a copy of the Yamaha 642. When I tune up, my main slide is out about an inch and a half, my 1st valve slide is out about half an inch, my 2nd valve slide (the super short one) is not pulled at all, but my really long 3rd slide is also not pulled at all.

What is the deal with that 3rd slide? Of course, I get why the tubing itself has to be as long as it is, but why is the slide just as long? Is it just a standard thing to match the inner with the outer? I can't imagine when I might need that much slide

Funny you should ask about the long 3rd valve slide - I just did a blog post about that a few days ago, including a demonstration of a way to use it:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...lliams-Romanza
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, I will check out that post. 😀

Dr. Richard Demy uses that long slide to achieve quarter-tones for doing Arabic music on the euphonium. He had a video on FB a couple years ago, but unfortunately it's not on YT.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

It seems the "long 3rd valve slide" is also carried over into British Style Eb and BBb tubas. I looked at a 3 valve compensating Boosey & Hawkes last weekend, and even on that the 3rd valve slide is LONG. It's even got a spot marked about 3/4 inch out, which I guess is "standard" tuning.

Now if only Yamaha had decided to put a spit valve on the 3rd valve slide of the 631 BBb tuba...
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.