Thread: Is this a Besson Model 159 Bass Trumpet?

1. Is this a Besson Model 159 Bass Trumpet?

I'm trying to identify this horn, a recent Ebay acquisition. I did a Google search and came up empty, searching for Besson marching baritone and Besson bass trumpet. Besson did make a bass trumpet, model 159 according to a 1958 catalog listing, but I have no pictures of it. Did Besson make marching baritones? The bell diameter is 8", it takes a tenor trombone mouthpiece, serial number is 04100, which does not seem to make any sense.

-Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0091.jpg   IMG_0090.jpg   IMG_0092.jpg   IMG_0093.jpg   IMG_0094.jpg  

IMG_0096.jpg  
    San Jose Wind Symphony (on leave 2020)
    San Francisco Brass Band
    Mission Peak Brass Band
    -------------------------------
    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479
    Besson 2056-2, 955, 982, Imperial Euphonium & Prototype BBb helicon

It is not a bass trumpet. Besson did not manufacture marching trombones (which is what this is), but they did put their name on marching trombones from a number of other makers. Probably to meet school contracts. I have one that's marked "besson" that is clearly a Kanstul but yours appears to be a different design. Could be dynasty or getzen.
    --
    Barry

ahh, I think it's a Blessing M-200. So it would have been made at Blessing's factory in Elkhart. I believe that model uses the tooling from the old Olds marching trombone which was highly regarded.
    --
    Barry

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    It is not a bass trumpet. Besson did not manufacture marching trombones (which is what this is), but they did put their name on marching trombones from a number of other makers. Probably to meet school contracts. I have one that's marked "besson" that is clearly a Kanstul but yours appears to be a different design. Could be dynasty or getzen.
    Barry, thanks for the reply. That makes sense. The fittings are not typical Besson. I did see some other marching baritones with the same wrap made by Olds and Blessing.
    San Francisco Brass Band
    Mission Peak Brass Band
    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479

No clue! My first guess is that it was made in India and may not have been marketed in the USA.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    ahh, I think it's a Blessing M-200. So it would have been made at Blessing's factory in Elkhart. I believe that model uses the tooling from the old Olds marching trombone which was highly regarded.
    Barry, you nailed it. Here is an ad for the Blessing M-200 Marching Trombone. Thanks for your help. Despite all the dents, it has a nice tone and good intonation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0112.JPG  
    San Francisco Brass Band
    Mission Peak Brass Band
    Adams E1 Custom .5mm
    Hirsbrunner Exclusiv 479

I suspect the reason these exist is that Besson USA came across a RFP from a college or school district that wanted something like 30 tubas, 30 euphoniums, 30 trombones, --oh, and 5 marching trombones. So they contracted out to put their name on them so they could bid on the whole contract. My guess is that they were never offered for sale to the general public.
    --
    Barry