Thread: Wessex Festivo vs. Dolce

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Wessex Festivo vs. Dolce

Hello,

first I'd like to say "thank you" for all the precious information here. I've read through a lot and it's really a treasure!
    Still there's something I'd like to ask.

I'm about to buy a new, fully compensated euphonium - my first. After a lot of reading it seems that a Wessex is the way to go for my budget and wishes. Still I'm struggling a bit between the Dolce and the Festivo. Front or top action is not important, just sound and responsitivity, especially in the medium to lower register.

intended use:
    - small brass band: 3-4 trumpets, 1 trombone playing baritone, 1 bass (me) sometimes doubling with 1 tuba - occasionally plus 1 trombone for bass, then I'm switching to doubling with the baritone
    - when performing we stand in a half circle, me at the right end: Dolce would point to the audience, Festivo away from the audience (sound usually reflected by apse or wall)
    - I'm looking for a good, round bass foundation if the tuba is not present, but also not too "thick" if the tuba is present (does the different bell size really matter that much?); so: maybe a more open, clearer sound
    - preferrably lacquered version over silver
    - I'm going to buy an extra mouthpiece anyway
    - my experience: amateur, about 20 years trumpet, last 8 years German Tenor Horn playing baritone/tenor now switching to bass mostly

After reading a lot of internet resources (but not having heard both side by side) I'm tending towards the Festivo. Today... Yesterday it was Dolce...

So:
    - do you think there's any difference for me with Festivo vs Dolce?
    - which one would be better suited?
    - any other helpful advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you so very much in advance,
    greetings from Germany,
    Michael
    Last edited by inge058; 11-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.