Thread: Getting back into it

1. Getting back into it

I recently started playing again after a 1-2 year hiatus. Slight back story. I was working towards my Bachelor's in Music Ed at Portland State University up until June 2017. As one would expect I was taking regular lessons and playing in multiple ensembles.

Cut to now, just picking the horn back up about a month or so ago, just trying to get back into the swing of things. I have been trying to practice Arban's, Brass Gym, etc. but I want a solo piece to apply all of the techniques to. What would you all recommend?

In the past I have played Concertino by David, the Horovitz concerto (sans mvt III), Morceau Symphonique, and the like. I also was semi-working on Pantomime which would probably be a bit out of my reach at the moment.

It might help generate suggestions if you could tell us the range you're shooting for, whether you can triple- or double-tongue, where you want original or classical material or if you prefer theme/variation solos. Etc.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thanks for the reply Dave.

I can moderately double tongue but my triple tongue has always been subpar. I would be okay with any genre of music really, I'm open to any and all suggestions (christmas is coming up and the wife needs gift ideas haha) My lifetime goal is to play something grade V like Pantomime or the Cosma Concerto but those are quite out of range at the moment haha.

I guess I would be looking for something along the lines of the Horovitz concerto but in a single movement. Some fast, some lyrical, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

That is a good goal. Everything will work out for you, the main thing is more practice and assurance!