Thread: Cons practising with practise mute?

1. Cons practising with practise mute?

Hi.
    I just purchased a DW practice mute for my euphonium and I love it! Now I'm able to practice at any time without disturbing anyone.
    The conductor in my band told me to use the mute as little as possible due to airflow. Why is that? I know mutes affect airflow in terms of resistance, but how does it affect my playing "long term" (not using a mute)?

Welcome to the forum!

You ask a good question, and I thought about doing a little video discussing practice mutes. As with most of life, balance is important. I would not want to practice with my practice mute (pm) too long. A pm will affect your intonation while you are using it, which could tamper with your perception of pitch. Mine makes me quite sharp overall and affect note-by-note intonation in a few cases (mostly in the extreme high/low range). It also requires more air support as you play.

In my case, I find that once I take out the mute, my use of air is actually improved. I have a more solid sound and clearer attacks. I equate it to a runner practicing with ankle weights or heavy shoes - it might help build strength and endurance.

On the other hand, I didn't start using a pm until I had been playing professionally for several years (i.e. after college). By that time my tone and technique will pretty well developed as habit, so maybe that is a factor in your conductor's comment. My advice would be to try it and see how it works for you. BUT, as you use the pm, be very attentive to your quality of playing. Listen for consistent volume between notes and be sure to not let sloppy attacks sneak in. If you do that, it may actually help your playing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you!

I will never be professional but I have played for 20+ years. I agree with everything you say. I also find my air use to improve, but I startet to hesitate my experience when the conductor told me to be careful in that sense. The pitch I try to be aware of, and I try to end my practice sessions playing without the pm. I feel that the biggest challenge for me using a pm is dynamics.

I hope you'll make a video, that would be great!