Thread: Any idea what model Euphonium this is?

Any idea what model Euphonium this is?

I've been loaned an old Besson euphonium from my band and I was just wondering what model it might be. Its very old, I think the serial number 671078 dates it back to 1982 from another post on this site, but I've got no ideas other than that. Only markings on it are Made by Besson England. Its seen better days, but still plays nicely. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to know, thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191015_202823.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	882.2 KB 
ID:	7210

Name:	20191015_202836.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	7212

Name:	20191015_202809.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	754.5 KB 
ID:	7211

Your instrument appears to be a Besson New Standard. These have some peculiar intonation problems (concert Eb can be a nightmare). However, in my opinion, when in good repair, the New Standard remains one of the best sounding euphoniums ever built. Sometimes old ugly instruments play the best. I hope that it works for you.
    Besson is now owned by the Buffet Crampon and their euphoniums are now made in Germany. Their top models are still considered to be among the best.

3. This is definitely a New Standard, but it appears to have the Besson Sovereign valve caps and finger buttons. The serial number 671xxx does date it to 1982 which means it has a large shank receiver. I am surprised that it has the older style "New Standard" bell markings when the "Round Stamp" had been in use for quite some time by 1982.

The original lacquer on these was a nitrocellulose lacquer and didn't really hold up as well as modern epoxy lacquers. My lacquered 1980 Sovereign suffered greatly when I used bug repellant in the summer. It literally would melt!

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 10-16-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks both. It may be somewhat beat up, but its still very enjoyable to play. Once I'm warmed up it gives a nice sound.

With the intonation issues does that mean having to lip up / down the pitch of a note to get it right. i think the Eb you mean is probably the high F that is a bit sharp - I'm playing treble clef, that's the top line on the stave (I get confused by all the high / top terminology). But my conductor has told me I play that a bit sharp so I just try to relax it down a bit

Thanks

David

David, that's correct. The Eb they're talking about is your TC 'F'. The 6th partials are notoriously sharp. Those notes being concert Eb, E and F or TC F, F# and G. Some folks find using 1-3 for your high 'F' might play better in tune. Others add the 4th valve to the normal fingering for those notes to bring them down some. If I remember right when I tried out a Besson NS for someone wanting to purchase that horn, the 4th valve brought the pitch down from 8 to 10 cents worth.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

FWIW, when I played on Besson and Sterling (before I got the triggered Sterling) I used the following (treble clef):

F: 13
    F#: 24
    G: 4

A Sovereign or New Standard is pretty well in tune otherwise.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

For my Sovereign, I actually use 1-2 for the G. Somehow makes it better in tune than 1-3 or 4, although 4 is my second go-to alternate fingering.

Thanks all that's really useful information and ideas for me to try out