Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Besson 967 Sovereign, british vs german

1. Thank you so much for all the information! You can´t simply find this kind of information in the web. I have read that there are people that still prefer the old Round stamp Sovereign due to the sound. What about the old B&H Imperial/Besson 767 (assuming is the same horn with different engraving)? can we say that those are the equivalent to the modern Sovereign 968? Is the medium /euro/british reciver prefered on the older ones? How well does the Imperial plays against a 968?

Again, too many questions, but this is a very interesting topic. Thank you again for showing up with your knowledge gentlemen.

Greetings from Peru,
    Jose
    Some stuff

As far as I know the handrest changed with introduction of the Prestige, also Sovereigns made after this had the main tuning slide without the brace obviously to save costs. My band provided 2015 Prestige still has the removable first valve compensating loop slide.

3. An 11 inches bell imperial would sound near (or maybe very close/equal) to a germann beritone or french saxhorn due to the smaller bell and smaller bore(if It does have smaller bore, I m not that sure about the measurement of the bore)?
    Some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by joshealejo View Post
    An 11 inches bell imperial would sound near (or maybe very close/equal) to a germann beritone or french saxhorn due to the smaller bell and smaller bore(if It does have smaller bore, I m not that sure about the measurement of the bore)?
    Do you mean by German Baritone the rotary valve horn with bell off to the side? If so I don’t equate the sound of any euphonium to that sound. The Imperial sound is like a smaller Prestige. A bit lighter than a 12” bell horn.

I have an imperial a round stamp an eminence and ive just sold my prestige. So i know how they compare .... for me.
    Without a doubt i preffer a round stamp accross theboard for all except intonation. Im still waiting for something to blow and sound like one!
    after that ipreffer a 90s sov built on a monday (they varried) after this the next decade but only if you got a good one... there were a lot of badens. And the prestige wieghed a ton. The German prestige is a fantastic compromise and perfectfor most modern brass banders..... but for me its too bright and can get edgy under extreme volume...... but only as most of my formative years were on rounstamps. German sovs are very eqsy to blow and can sound very sweet but because of what im used to they seem extrmely bright. Ivejust gone gack on my York Eminece, which to me is essentially the same as a british prestige onna good day! Post on this comng to forum near you....
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12