Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Gig Bag

1. Looking for a new Gig Bag

Hello!

My Protec gig bag has basically fallen apart from its use over the past three years. Where would I be able to find a decent gig bag for under $250? When I look on Amazon, the only gig bags that I find are Tom and Will, Protec, and the unbranded $20 ones that I wouldn't even trust to keep my folder safe. Are these Tom & Will cases any good? I cannot find any reviews on them, but I see them everywhere.

I need to be able to fit my JP274S along with a few folders of music.

Thanks,
    Joseph Bickel

Welcome to the forum.

I myself have never heard of Tom & Will cases. When I searched I found a Review of the Top 9 euphonium cases/gig bags and Tom and Will was dead last. They review Protec as #1 but if yours only lasted 3 years not sure you'd agree.

I use a Miraphone gig bag which offers excellent protection with 1" thick padding. Has 2 pockets, 1 large to hold a large leather folder and another pocket for mpc, valve oil, tuner, glasses, etc. It sells for $259 at WWBW here. But it's a top-loader which takes some getting used to (took me a couple of years). The zippered flap that closes over the bell has a rigid disk along with padding to protect the bell.
    Last edited by RickF; 10-09-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It's a little over $250, but the Altieri bags are well made. I am using one right now (although I have ordered a Chronkhite bag, but they are quite expensive).

They have a large pocket on the side that will fit oversize folders.

https://altieribags.com/collections/euphonium-bags
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Wow, a Pro-Tec bag lasted only 3 years? How did it break? Zippers or stitching? I've got two Pro-Tec trombone cases and they've lasted for years with no signs of failing.

I also am going to be in need of a gig bag for my Euph, as the original Sterling Case is MASSIVE. I thought about getting an MTS case, but a bag makes much more sense for any playing I will be doing.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

I would recommend the Altieri bag. I've used one for the past 4-5 years and it is still in great shape. No signs of wear on fabric, padding, zippers, straps, etc...

The outer pocket is large enough for me to carry my music, one of those cheap folding music stands, cleaning/maintenance supplies, and mouthpieces. It is fairly lightweight and easy to get the horn in and out of.

My pro tec bag has been great. I had a trombone bag with bad stitching on a pocket, and they sent me a brand new bag for free

Has anyone purchased a Soundgear bag? Just curious if they are any good.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Davidus1,

Do you mean Soundwear, made in the UK ? If so, I do own one and like it very much. They have 3 models: Protector $150, Performer $280 and Professional $325. For me, the Performer was my choice. Dillon Music has them in stock, worth checking out if you’re still looking.

I had an Altieri for 10 years, held up great. Went to a Bonna now.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Nbnarcisi View Post
    Davidus1,

Do you mean Soundwear, made in the UK ? If so, I do own one and like it very much. They have 3 models: Protector $150, Performer $280 and Professional $325. For me, the Performer was my choice. Dillon Music has them in stock, worth checking out if you’re still looking.
    Yes! That's it. I have seen pictures and they look nice but had not heard feedback. Thanks for sharing!!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast