Thread: Need help with instrument ID!

Need help with instrument ID!

Hi,

New time here. My wife is the Euphonium player and she has a vintage instrument (plus Besson Sovereign). We're trying to ID the vintage one.

It is a baritone; the finish is rough enough we are having trouble reading the markings but here's what we think.

The bell is marked:

MERITON (in rather roughly shaped hand etching),
    Georgi Vitcik (in very flowery, flowing, calligraphy cursive)
    Chicago IL

All the lettering is hard to discern and we can't find any other legible marking (e.g. SN).

The valves are playable and the tone quite good, but silver finish is missing/blued/splotchy ....

Thanks for your time. I played a few scales on the instrument, as a trumpet player I have no euphonium embouchure but she sounds good on it. We're seniors and just having fun. She's a serious player/learner but unfortunately her Besson is causing her a great deal of back pain and something is going to have to change.

Roger

Welcome to the forum! We have some very knowledgeable people here, and they may be able to help. I'm clueless, based on the information you provided.

Some photos might help.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Never heard of it but horn-u-copia says this:

Louis Vitak formed a partnership with importer Otto Giorgi c1906/7, advertised as manufacturers of Meritone band instruments, flourished in Chicago until c1930

So, date would be between 1906 and 1930.
    --
    Barry

You might see it here:

http://www.euphoniumcollective.co.uk

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post

[snip] She's a serious player/learner but unfortunately her Besson is causing her a great deal of back pain and something is going to have to change. [snip]
    Have you considered a marching strap arrangement or one of those supporting pegs? https://www.ergobrass.com/euphonium/
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing