Thread: Looking to switch mouthpieces

1. Looking to switch mouthpieces

Hi everyone. I’ve recently felt I should change mouthpieces due to some response issues I’ve had. Lately, I’ve been playing on a Schilke 52D. I really like the rim size and feel. I adore the color, power, and endurance I can achieve with the mouthpiece. I also don’t have any real issues with range on the piece, as I can consistently hit and sustain notes like B5 and F5. My problems, however, start to manifest when I am forced to play sixteenth notes at near octave intervals(fingerings changing of course) at anything past quarter equals 105 or so. My notes simply do not come out quick enough. I have two possible ideas of mouthpieces I could switch to. First, I have heard good things about the BB1’s response and color, but the rim size is smaller than what I am used to. Second, I believe a modified Perantucci 4-C with a beveled inner edge may be a solid option, making it slightly wider and having better response while still retaining its massive 8mm backbore. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by QuigleyJ View Post
    Hi everyone. I’ve recently felt I should change mouthpieces due to some response issues I’ve had. Lately, I’ve been playing on a Schilke 52D. I really like the rim size and feel. I adore the color, power, and endurance I can achieve with the mouthpiece. I also don’t have any real issues with range on the piece, as I can consistently hit and sustain notes like B5 and F5. My problems, however, start to manifest when I am forced to play sixteenth notes at near octave intervals(fingerings changing of course) at anything past quarter equals 105 or so. My notes simply do not come out quick enough. I have two possible ideas of mouthpieces I could switch to. First, I have heard good things about the BB1’s response and color, but the rim size is smaller than what I am used to. Second, I believe a modified Perantucci 4-C with a beveled inner edge may be a solid option, making it slightly wider and having better response while still retaining its massive 8mm backbore. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    So, you have a mouthpiece that works great for you, except for the very specific situation of fast sixteenth note near octave intervals? We should all be so lucky! This really seems like an issue of practice rather than changing a mouthpiece. Are you willing to give up one or more things that you like about the 52D, just to be able to sound a little better in the situation you describe? It does not seem like a worthwhile trade off. This seems much more likely to be an embouchure/excess tension issue. Do you have a private teacher that can help you ? If not Doug Elliott, does Skype consultations (if you aren't in the D.C. area) and may be able to offer embouchure advice.

Mike

3. Gotta agree with the above post, it sounds like you already have your ideal mouthpiece. It’s likely that you just need some focused practice on your specific playing issues. If you’re really set on changing, I’d consider trying out a similar size stainless steel mouthpiece. It does seem to respond more quickly in the articulation department, but if your normal speed articulations are good in your “problem” range then practice is the answer.

I'm not sure switching mouthpieces would really improve the issue you are having. Usually response seems to stem more from the instrument than the mouthpiece, in my experience.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

I can't emphasize enough how important a good private teacher can be. Even if you can't afford weekly lessons getting lesson or two a month can help you focus on the proper things to improve your playing. I wish you well in your search.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

6. Thanks for the help. I’ll look for some articulation-heavy etudes. I’ll also look into the possibility of taking lessons.

I think others have offered good advice here, but I thought I would offer my thought, which is that the problem skill Quigly describes (sixteenth notes with near octave intervals at 105 BPM) sounds really hard! I think even at the peak of my playing that would have been very difficult for me, and I can just imagine my old professor reminding me not to "chew" the notes with lots of excess jaw movement, to keep a steady flow of air, and to work on my slow tongue not getting in the way, all of which would be solved by patient practice, not a new mouthpiece.

Having said that, I recently switched from a Wick 3AL to a Doug Elliott, and have noticed that some, not all, of the things I was hoping to improve seem to come a little easier for me. So it isn't necessarily that a new mouthpiece won't help at all, but my impression is that the thing you are having issues with sounds difficult and just needs practice.

Good luck!