X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miketeachesclass
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by bbocaner View Post
    Tonal energy has a bug which makes it difficult to use in just intonation (or meantone, or anything other than equal). It calculates all the frequencies from where "C" is rather than from where "A" is. So, for example - if you set the calibration at A440 and then you try to tune an "A" in a C just scale, that A will be actually 436hz rather than 440. It should really calculate everything based off your calibration note rather than where C in equal temperament would be relative to the calibration note. You can compensate by shifting your calibration note, but it requires you understand what's happening.
    That's very interesting - I was not aware of that.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• adrian_quince
      • Mar 2015

Tonal energy has a bug which makes it difficult to use in just intonation (or meantone, or anything other than equal). It calculates all the frequencies from where "C" is rather than from where "A" is. So, for example - if you set the calibration at A440 and then you try to tune an "A" in a C just scale, that A will be actually 436hz rather than 440. It should really calculate everything based off your calibration note rather than where C in equal temperament would be relative to the calibration note. You can compensate by shifting your calibration note, but it requires you understand what's happening.
      I'm not sure if that's a bug or a deliberate design decision on their part. Tunable actually works the same way, though they are a little more explicit about stating what key the temperament is centered on.
      Adrian L. Quince
      Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
      www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• bbocaner
        • May 2009

Well, I know it's a deliberate design decision on their part, but I don't see how it's useful at all the way they designed it. Tonal Energy does let you change the key the temperament is centered on (you have to go to the "sound" tab and then double tap the note you want it centered on) but that's really a different issue than from what point of reference the frequencies are calculated. TE always uses an offset from the equal tempered scale which is fine, but when you use an equal tempered scale to find "C" based on the value you gave it to calibrate A, and then calculate everything based on a fixed C, that's just bizarre and I can't imagine anyone expecting that behavior.
        --
        Barry

Comment

• adrian_quince
          • Mar 2015

Well, I know it's a deliberate design decision on their part, but I don't see how it's useful at all the way they designed it. Tonal Energy does let you change the key the temperament is centered on (you have to go to the "sound" tab and then double tap the note you want it centered on) but that's really a different issue than from what point of reference the frequencies are calculated. TE always uses an offset from the equal tempered scale which is fine, but when you use an equal tempered scale to find "C" based on the value you gave it to calibrate A, and then calculate everything based on a fixed C, that's just bizarre and I can't imagine anyone expecting that behavior.
          It seems like a simplification designed to make Just less complex for a wider user base. Yes, in a perfect world Just would be calibrated to a specified pitch in Hz, rather than calibrating A and then using the ET scale note as the base of the just scale. However, I would bet that the majority of the user base for any tuner app would be impeded by having to provide an exact starting pitch in Hz for their Just scale. I would also bet they designed for that majority.

As a software developer, I just get annoyed when people call a deliberate decision a bug. It might be a bad decision, but there were probably reasons for and against it.
          Adrian L. Quince
          Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
          www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Comment

• bbocaner
            • May 2009

fair enough! Let's agree to call it a poor design decision. But it's a simplification for their programmers, it does nothing to make things simpler for their user base. It actually makes things much much more complex for their user base. Bottom line, when you tell the tuner that a=440hz, the note a should stay there and everything else should revolve around that. Yes, the exact interval between A and any other note will change based on the temperament and the temperament base you select, but the A should stay put because you calibrated the whole thing to that A. It's the way that practically every other tuner works, meaning if you are collaborating with any other musicians you are getting different results than they are.

setting a tuner to a=440 and then having the tuner tell you your A at 436hz is bang on in tune is just wrong.
            --
            Barry

Comment

• ametropia
              • Dec 2018

I use MobileSheets Pro to store/display/coordinate my music (there's a Free version that has a limit to how many songs you can upload, but nice for trying it out), and right now I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 10.5" which comes with a pen. I'm able to notate the sheet music fairly easily using the pen which is a plus, and I can take other notes on the tablet as well. I'm completely paper-free right now which is awesome.

I wear glasses but have very good eyesight with them on, so the size is not an issue, but it may be a problem for some. I sit the tablet on a regular music stand but if someone had to bring the tablet closer to see the music due to the smaller size, I'd considering purchasing a tripod which would eliminate the bulky stand and would allow for the tablet to be brought closer without any awkwardness.

My pedal is a Donner Wireless Page Turner which was about half the price of some of the competitors, and it works perfectly.
              "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl."
              "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
              Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
              Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
              Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

Comment

• Sara Hood
                • Mar 2017

Update - Adopting digital

Okay folks. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a device for this purpose. I wanted/needed a new computer too, so I ended up getting a 13.3 inch 2-1 laptop/tablet hybrid (HP Spectre 360). I wish that I did not have the keyboard exposed when I am working with the screen in its tablet formation. But we will see if it is all that terrible as I put it to some actual use. If I have my act together, I plan on starting to use it as a sheet music alternative at Wednesday's practice. In the mean time, I need to pick some sheet music reader apps to try, and try to get PDF versions of the stuff we are playing currently.

Forscore is a popular app, but it is only available via Apple, so that is out. I think that I am going to try Mobile Sheets and Music Reader for starters. I will keep reporting back, so we will see where this all ends up.

- Sara
                Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

Working...
                X