Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some opinions needed-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some opinions needed-

I’m giving an instrument a trial-before-purchasing, and I’ve been positively impressed with it. I find myself getting a little more out of it every time I do my daily practicing.

I have a question though. For a few specifically ergonomic reasons, I’ve found that I need to put my left foot on an elevated footrest to hold the instrument with minimum tension in my arms, hands, and fingers/thumb.

Using the footrest, the instrument is balanced comfortably on my lap. Would my footrest fall into the same category as a tuba or baritone sax rest, or other kinds of assists I see other musicians using?

I’m not as concerned about the appearance as I am about making a bad habit.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    [snip] I have a question though. For a few specifically ergonomic reasons, I’ve found that I need to put my left foot on an elevated footrest to hold the instrument with minimum tension in my arms, hands, and fingers/thumb.

Using the footrest, the instrument is balanced comfortably on my lap. Would my footrest fall into the same category as a tuba or baritone sax rest, or other kinds of assists I see other musicians using? [snip]
    Many euphonium players use a small pillow on their laps, to raise the height of the instrument. I use one made by QHR, which looks quite professional - it included foam inserts of different thicknesses to adjust the height.

The only problem I'd see with a footrest is whether playing with one raised leg affects your posture, which in turn would affect your airflow.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I agree with 'dsurkin' using a small pillow. I've used one for years on my left hip to elevate the horn some. I found a small (9" x 5") felt bag with drawstring closure and partially filled it with the polyester pillow stuffing. Then tighten the string and stuff that into the small opening. It can be adjusted easily as it compresses. When I put my horn away in its case I just put the pillow in its bell.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    I’m giving an instrument a trial-before-purchasing, and I’ve been positively impressed with it. I find myself getting a little more out of it every time I do my daily practicing.

I have a question though. For a few specifically ergonomic reasons, I’ve found that I need to put my left foot on an elevated footrest to hold the instrument with minimum tension in my arms, hands, and fingers/thumb.

Using the footrest, the instrument is balanced comfortably on my lap. Would my footrest fall into the same category as a tuba or baritone sax rest, or other kinds of assists I see other musicians using?

I’m not as concerned about the appearance as I am about making a bad habit.

Thanks for your input.
    This works very well.

http://stores.quickhornrinse.com/lpt...onium-lap-pad/

Mike

5. I prefer to NOT use a lap pad or pillow. I use a "guitar foot rest" under my left foot at my home studio. I often prop my left foot up on the leg of a chair by raising my heel against thee left front chair leg. I have tried many other solutions including a Dee Stewart peg and others. In the end, a foot rest worked best for me.

I think that whatever works for you is fine.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

While visiting the Quick Horn Rinse website to look at their lap pillow, you might also take a look at the euphonium hand strap. Many of us like this option. A similar hand strap is also available from http://comfyhornstrap.blogspot.com/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, I don't use any foot rest or lap pillow with the euphonium, although I admit when I play guitar (in a guitar flute duet), I do use a footrest. For the euphonium, I just simply like it so much, that I pick it up and grab it (hold it) without resting it on anything. I do a lot of my practicing standing up, so not much use of a footrest or lap pillow for that scenario. Guess I just grew up without one and never decided to get one. I do not slouch over and let my euphonium sit on my left leg, I hold it. I sometimes do the method described by "daruby" with the left heel against the front chair leg. But not too often. Maybe when I get old, things will change. Is going on 72 old?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Is going on 72 old?
    No. But 72 is old. You'll see.

(Although now that I got my back fixed, I really feel no older than ... well ... maybe 65. It's just the comorbidities that get you at an accelerating rate. They circle you like a pack of wolves, and as you fend off some of them, others sneak up behind and attack. Also, you do end up paying for your sins -- and your fun -- at some point. )
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    No. But 72 is old. You'll see.

(Although now that I got my back fixed, I really feel no older than ... well ... maybe 65. It's just the comorbidities that get you at an accelerating rate. They circle you like a pack of wolves, and as you fend off some of them, others sneak up behind and attack. Also, you do end up paying for your sins -- and your fun -- at some point. )
    That's funny. And probably unfortunately, true.... Alas.... I am clearly paying for my sins regarding smoking like a chimney for so many years I would need 2 1/2 times the number of fingers and toes I currently have (and last time I checked, I had the normal compliment) to count the smoking years. But so far, I can still play pretty okay, much to my total disbelief. I do practice enough to keep Linda in a perpetual state of something not normal.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    [snip]I do practice enough to keep Linda in a perpetual state of something not normal.
    John - just looking at your list of instruments, to keep them warm requires a practice schedule of several hours a day!
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast