Thread: Practice Routine

Practice Routine

Just curious what you who work a regular job do for your practice weekly. I was formerly in the Army Band but that was many years ago and now I have a family and work Monday thru Friday. I also teach at a local university one night a week as well. Getting practice in can be a challenge. I find that I am spending a large percentage of practice on long tones, scales and flexibility and not as much time on technical studies or etudes. This is probably not the best model but I no longer have hours a day to practice like I did in the military. What is your routine to keep the chops up?
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Just curious what you who work a regular job do for your practice weekly. I was formerly in the Army Band but that was many years ago and now I have a family and work Monday thru Friday. I also teach at a local university one night a week as well. Getting practice in can be a challenge. I find that I am spending a large percentage of practice on long tones, scales and flexibility and not as much time on technical studies or etudes. This is probably not the best model but I no longer have hours a day to practice like I did in the military. What is your routine to keep the chops up?
    I think I should have posted this in the "Performance and Practice" area but didn't notice that until it was too late. ( :

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Consider it moved!

In my case, I find multi-tasking in warmup and practice of crucial importance. In truth, no performer can afford to waste time in practice, but it is even more true when one's practice is structurally limited.

I described the basics of my approach in this thread:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...-time-save-me!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I was just thinking about the same thing lately. I have a regular job and my only time practicing is the 30-50 mins before work each morning. And like you, I've generally do long tones, scales, flexibility, then maybe only 5-10 minutes on a piece I'm working on. Not much time really.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Consider it moved!

In my case, I find multi-tasking in warmup and practice of crucial importance. In truth, no performer can afford to waste time in practice, but it is even more true when one's practice is structurally limited.

I described the basics of my approach in this thread:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...-time-save-me!
    Thanks Dave. I'll check that out!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    I was just thinking about the same thing lately. I have a regular job and my only time practicing is the 30-50 mins before work each morning. And like you, I've generally do long tones, scales, flexibility, then maybe only 5-10 minutes on a piece I'm working on. Not much time really.
    Thanks! Yes, time is precious isn't it?

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium