Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What euphonium would you buy if money were no object?

If money were no object, it would a toss up between refurbishing the hooter I’ve got now, or specifying an Adams. I don’t really know the options, but I’d want no water keys, no trigger, no fourth valve retaining clip, no lyre box, and the lead pipe soldered to bell (preferably a Boosey style “S” leadpipe).
    1983 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign
    Denis Wick SM4 (original series)

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
    If you had access to an inordinate sum of money which euphonium would you be buying? I'd say a custom Adams E2 or possibly a Meinl Weston Phoenix. As well I've always wanted to try out a Besson Prestige baritone horn.
    Money has not been an object for me in the 5 euphoniums I have owned over the last 39 years. These include a 1980 Besson Sovereign 967, 2007 Besson Prestige 2051, a 2009 Sterling Virtuoso customized to my spec, a 2001 Besson Sovereign 967 modified to Prestige spec (w/o trigger), and a 2017 Adams E3 prototype with short action valves and .70 yellow brass bell.

My keepers are my 2009 Sterling and my 2017 Adams. I love my Sterling for its rich sound, quality, and feature set that suits me perfectly. It has a 300mm heavy red brass bell, trigger, gold trim, and Besson-style belly pan (and my name engraved on it). The Adams was a prototype of the short action top sprung valves, but in all other respects is a standard E3, no trigger. It is physically light, easy to play, very responsive, and ergonomically suits my physical infirmities as I grow older.

At this point, having played (not owned) so many horns over the last 60 years, I have no interest in anything other than my two keepers.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Money has not been an object for me in the 5 euphoniums I have owned over the last 39 years. [snip]
    The Adams was a prototype of the short action top sprung valves, but in all other respects is a standard E3, no trigger. [snip]
    The only instrument for me where money was no object was my 1902 Steinway Model A, and as a matter of fact I got a great deal on it - even after the 7-month long refurbishing project, it wound up costing one-fourth of a new instrument.

But that's a digression from my real question: Doug, since my arthritis keeps progressing, I wonder about those short-action valves. Do they make a difference in the sound of your Adams E3 compared to an Adams E3 with the regular valve set?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

4. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Doug, since my arthritis keeps progressing, I wonder about those short-action valves. Do they make a difference in the sound of your Adams E3 compared to an Adams E3 with the regular valve set?
    I really do not know. The various other E3's I auditioned when I tried my horn were either .55 or .60 brass bells (no sterling silver) while mine is a .70 brass bell and had a richer sound IMHO. which I preferred to the other two. When Miel Adams explained the prototype valves, the easy action and light weight closed the deal (I had modified a 2001 Sovereign to near Prestige spec because it was physically lighter than my Sterling, did not have a trigger, and had lighter valve action). I can say that as a prototype, my horn needed some tweaking and experimenting to get the pitch correct. I love playing both of these horns and do not feel that the differences are that great.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

5. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    phoenix and the prestige baritone both have... issues. The prestige baritone is the best available choice if you really want four valves, but it's got some serious intonation quirks for sure.
    Do you mean the Meinl Weston 751 Phoenix? I thought not much people liked that one. I have been always curious about that model.
    Some stuff

Custom E3 - but I'd fly to the Netherlands and visit the factory to play on it upon delivery and make sure everything works like I want it physically and cosmetically before taking delivery.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    T...since my arthritis keeps progressing, I wonder about those short-action valves. Do they make a difference in the sound of your Adams E3 compared to an Adams E3 with the regular valve set?
    My impression was that the prototype valves did not affect the tone noticeably. The only difference I picked up was that the response did not feel quite as "clear" as with the standard valves. However, it was still excellent - I don't think you would notice any negatives in the response if you are switching from a different brand. And the shorter valve travel was really nice!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Custom E3 - but I'd fly to the Netherlands and visit the factory to play on it upon delivery and make sure everything works like I want it physically and cosmetically before taking delivery.
    And then buy yourself two first-class plane tickets for the return - one for you and one for the horn.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I'm happy with my Prestige, but soon (next year when I retire) I'm going to buy an Adams E3 as a lighter alternative to Besson. I had the opportunity to try one recently, E3 0,6 and I liked it. Hearing the opinions of the various owners of Adams in this forum I got a fairly precise idea of the model I will order: E3 silver plated thickness 0,7 yellow brass, no trigger, no AGR, water keys only on the main slide, vented valves, 4Th valve heavy bottom cup. Then I will have the finger buttons, the cups and the slides plated in ruthenium 65.
    Last edited by franz; 10-19-2019 at 02:15 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

10. A hirsbrunner that was custom and handmade back in the 1980s/ 1990s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast