Thread: "easiest to play" euphonium

1. "easiest to play" euphonium

I know in many ways this is a silly question, but hear me out.

I'm a returning player who at one point was pretty serious (performance major at conservatory, etc). But the thing I don't have anymore are chops. Specifically, the kind of consistency and precision that comes from regular, serious playing on a consistent basis. So I'll occasionally (or not so occasionally) do things like smudging attacks by landing outside the center of notes, getting "smeary" with fast passages, and so on.

I know that a horn's not going to fix my problems. Practice practice practice, yadda yadda yadda, I know. But still...

If you were going to buy a nice compensating horn and the primo consideration is "playability"--a horn that's just fun and easy to play, great response, good feedback, slots well, notes just seem to pop out--what would it be?

For reference I have a Wessex right now, but am looking to step it up. Adams is on my radar of course (but which model??) as is Yamaha (I used to play a 641 back in the 1990s, but I don't know anything about current models). What else should I look at if ease of playing was number one on the list?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously going to consider sound and other factors, I just want some models to start looking at).

From what I've read so far, people seem to consider the Yamaha models easy to play. The Neo and Custom specifically.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I would look at an Adams E1 (yellow brass bell, .55 or .60 metal) and I would also look at a Yamaha 642II Neo (which I have played and they are very nice and responsive).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Thanks for the replies! The Neo is definitely on my radar and I'm looking to try one out very soon. It's harder for me to get to an Adams dealer, though.

I'm curious why you suggest the E1 over the E3, and the yellow brass over sterling silver? (From experience on trombones I understand why to go for yellow over red, but I have no experience with silver).

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ernstlanzer View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The Neo is definitely on my radar and I'm looking to try one out very soon. It's harder for me to get to an Adams dealer, though.

I'm curious why you suggest the E1 over the E3, and the yellow brass over sterling silver? (From experience on trombones I understand why to go for yellow over red, but I have no experience with silver).
    I think the E1 is just a bit "lighter" than the E3. Now I am pretty sure Dave Werden finds the E3 easier to play (but just by a little I suspect) and he is, in my opinion, the ultimate source for E1 vs. E3 as he has played and owned both horns for some time. I know how my E3 plays, and it does play easy in comparison to other top line horns. And I have done some playing on E1s, and just had a sense after a little time with the E1s that they played a trifle easier overall (mostly response and range). I use a fairly good sized mouthpiece, and perhaps this made some difference in my observations. But in reality, the differences are almost more a sense of easier than anything else. I still prefer the E3 overall as it has the tone I like (a little darker and more robust) and can carry over a band or orchestra when you need to stand out (as in stand out in front to play a solo). [Although I have to admit that I got totally obliterated in July when I played a solo with our local municipal band. The band was too strong, too many on a part and played at or above forte the WHOLE piece. I didn't stand a chance and probably should have been miked. My wife recorded it, and half the time you couldn't even tell I was playing, and I am not a wimpy player! But I digress, sorry.]

As for sterling silver vs. yellow brass. I think the sterling silver does take an experienced player to really get the most out of it, whereas the yellow brass is just a generally very nice material delivering a very nice overall sound.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

6. The Yamaha 842 is very user friendly. The Sterling Virtuoso is terrific and really sings. My former Adams E1 .6 Sterling was the easiest horn I’ve ever played by a mile.

In contrast, the “hardest” instruments I’ve played were some pre German-made Besson prestiges, the York Eminence, and anything Meinl Weston.

Newer Besson Prestiges are the "easiest" horns I've ever played, but I would rank the Yamaha and Adams horns very closely behind in that regard.
    University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance '21
    Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium Performance '24

Besson Prestige 2052S
    Courtois 551BHRA
    Conn 88HCLSGX
    Various Greg Black mouthpieces