Thread: Range Issue

1. Range Issue

I have been playing euphonium for about 3 years now and am going into my junior year of high school and I have had this issue for a year or so. When playing I can only go up to a concert Bb4(or Bb 4 ledger lines up bass clef) consistently, every now and then I can play a C and D but they are never full and are very airy still. I feel like it may be a combination of things like too much pressure and tension, but I also think that there is an answer that is more obvious then I think. Thank you in advance for tips

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Welcome to the Forum! Dave Werden has some excellent advice on building your high range. Check this out:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...r#.XWcsjm5FzIU

Hopefully you have a teacher that can also help you with your range and many other things to get and keep you going in the right direction. Take some time to look around this Forum as there is much good and useful information here. Again, welcome to the Forum!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Dave's video is spot on! If you follow his advice you will see growth but don't get discouraged as range takes time.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium