Thread: WTB: Beginner Euphonium

1. WTB: Beginner Euphonium

Hello, I am wanting to buy my first euphonium. I was told that YEP-321's are good for the price.
    My price range is extremely low ($500-ish max) are there any good euphoniums I can get for this price? Used is fine.

If this sort of post is not allowed on this forum, please let me know and I will remove it promptly.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Your post is just fine - we're pretty open about questions and answers here, and our users range from pros to parents trying to get educated on what their kids need.

The 321's are great horns for students, but at $500-ish you may find a horn that makes you say "ish!" when you look at it.

What grade are you in? I ask because if you can get by with a 3-valve, you have a fighting chance. IMHO you'd be better off with a quality 3-valve euphonium instead of a beat-up 4-valve that may have playing problems because of its condition. There is a nice 3-valve King for sale right now in this section of the forum, which would work well if you are not doing advanced studies. That could hold you over for quite a while, perhaps, until you could save up for a decent 4-valve horn.

If you really need 4 valves now, I'll keep my eyes open and see what shows up. It's barely possible a King 4-valve might show up. They make one with valves in front or with the valves to your side (like most pro horns). Would that matter to you?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Let me add that you may see some very cheap new Chinese euphoniums with 4 valves...which you should not consider. The decent Chinese horns start around $1k for a Mack or $1250 for a Wessex. But there are a ton of cheap Chinese and Indian instruments that are not worth even their cheap prices.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here is a Yamaha 321 for under $500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Yama...e/153646646778

Notice there is a substantial dent on the 3rd valve slide, which would cause trouble and may not be easy to repair. But the leadpipe concerns me more - it's kinda messed up, and that is a critical area. The 4th valve stem and/or cap don't look quite right either, which could affect valve alignment (but I can't tell from the photoe). I WILL say that the 321s are tough little buggers; maybe this will play OK, but I would steer clear of a horn this rough. It's a fairly typical example of what I see in this price range for name-brand 4-valve horns.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. Hello, thanks for the quick reply! I am currently out of school and I have no clue as to what to look for, as far as valve number/placement, I'm not so sure about. I'd prefer a 3+1 valve configuration (top or side, I have no preference, as I have no experience.), but a 3 valve will do for now if needed.

Here are two nicer-looking 3-valve Conns. Both are the same model I played for 4 years in public school and are good, solid horns. Conns hold up well in school use, but the King horn I pointed you to is a bit more tank-like in durability. This series of Conn typically has good intonation, tone and response.

In very nice shape except for a dent on the bottom bow , which is probably no big deal for playing and could be repaired if desired. Comes with a hard case. Buy-it-now price is $499.95 and there is a make-offer button.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-14-I-3...e/202783973340

This one looks almost as good. There is a dent on the large bow slightly more of a concern, but is probably not an important factor. It comes with a gig bag. The buy-it-now price if $499.99 and there is a make-offer button.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-14i-Be...m/333350147665
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. Thank you! I will probably be purchasing one of these very soon!

8. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is a Yamaha 321 for under $500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Yama...e/153646646778

Notice there is a substantial dent on the 3rd valve slide, which would cause trouble and may not be easy to repair. But the leadpipe concerns me more - it's kinda messed up, and that is a critical area. The 4th valve stem and/or cap don't look quite right either, which could affect valve alignment (but I can't tell from the photoe). I WILL say that the 321s are tough little buggers; maybe this will play OK, but I would steer clear of a horn this rough. It's a fairly typical example of what I see in this price range for name-brand 4-valve horns.
    Very good advice; I think you are correct sir in saying to steer clear of a horn this rough. I have done a bit of repair work myself and have bought really rough horns just for the parts. So, while the bell, slides and bottom bow and even the lead-pipe are not terrible repairs, the thing that concerns me the most is the obviously bad solder joints of prior repairs of tubing to valve casing joints. Horns like this at that price would end up costing more after proper repairs than a horn in better condition in the first place.
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ty%20band&sm=3

9. Check out Baltimore Brass website:

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=4

This is their euphonium page. To sort, select "Used" at the pull-down menu.

There is a King Cleveland 3 valve model 621 for $500. Also, there is a 4 valve front action King 2268 which is a good deal at $450.

I have a King 2268 purchased from Baltimore Brass for my daughter (since she insisted upon front action valves). It plays very well in my opinion and she earned first chair in honors band with it.

Both of these are described as "baritones"; but they are the traditional style used in US school bands which are somewhere between true baritones and euphoniums (whatever they are).
    Weril H980 euph
    Besson 4v comp euph 314xxx
    Besson 3v comp euph 455xxx
    King 3v bari. 20xxx
    King 4v double-bell euph 50xxx
    Conn 5v double-bell euph 355xxx
    Buescher 3+1 double-bell euph 285xxx
    Olds bell-front 3v bari
    Holton alto horn
    Holton 3v tuba
    Belleville Helicon
    Some of the performances of the Mid-Shore Community Band: