Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New E3 with Short Valves

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Very interesting. Are you connecting the AGR in the same position being somehow related to more resistance on the short throw valves. The way you wrote that left me wondering. And if you were highlighting the differences, you say with the AGR in the same position, what is the difference there? Just not sure I am getting what you are trying to say. If those are two things, then I guess I would not find it too surprising that there might be a bit more resistance with the short throw valves which would necessitate a little constriction in the tubing around the valves, yes? Daruby - did you find this the case with your Adams short throw? Were you able to test the short throw vs. the regular valves?
    Let me clarify - I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

On both horns, with the AGR out 5.5 turns, the short valve set seems to have SLIGHTLY more backpressure. I came in 1 turn to 4.5 on the horn with the short valves, and it seems to have equalized.

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Mike, Congratulations. Let me know how the horn plays wrt to pitch. I am happy with my E3, but find the 6th partial being in tune causes problems trying to play in pitch with seatmates who play sharp.

Doug
    Thanks Doug - and thanks for the time you spent on the phone with me when I was hatching this plan!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    You have a great opportunity. Having two of the fundamentally exact horns, other than the valves, do you see any differences in how they play? Tone quality, intonation or otherwise?
    So far so good. They sound essentially the same, and the intonation is comparable. That being said, I've only had the horn 2 weeks, and haven't had the opportunity to play a ton, so I'm going to keep comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    This may be a problem with my intention to buy an Adams E3 now, when it comes to the 6° partial, I can tune it right with the help of the trigger, or play it sharp when I'm in unison with my seatmates. How can this be done?
    I have found this less problematic than you might imagine - my seatmate plays a besson new standard, and I don't have difficulty playing with him. I may raise the pitch slightly, but it's no more than you'd change pitch on any other horn.

Quote Originally Posted by enhite View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that making the valves shorter requires making them with oval holes (with oval tubing leading to and from)?
    Yes, the ports are oval - Adams made them with the same surface area as the round ports on the standard valve set in order to keep them as close as possible.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it long term! I ordered an Adams E3 SS and it should be here in about 2 months. I'm curious if the short throw valves will have any benefits/drawbacks besides the fact that the valves are shorter. Knowing the quality and consistency of Adams, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are few drawbacks, if any! I am super excited to see how mine turns out.
    Sean Breast
    DMA Euphonium Performance - James Madison University '22
    Adams Custom E3, SS Bell - Denis Wick SM3.5
    Edwards T350-HB - Warburton Gail Robertson Signature
    Edwards B454-V - Greg Black 1 1/8G
    BAC Custom Shires Straight Tenor - Schilke 47C4
    ...and random others

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacks1898 View Post
    i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it long term! I ordered an Adams E3 SS and it should be here in about 2 months. I'm curious if the short throw valves will have any benefits/drawbacks besides the fact that the valves are shorter. Knowing the quality and consistency of Adams, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are few drawbacks, if any! I am super excited to see how mine turns out.
    I found the short-action prototype did not have quite as good a response as the one I'm playing, so I chose not to go in that direction. However, I didn't notice the tone suffering, and the shorter throw on the valves was certainly appealing. I would not hesitate to venture that a player who needs a little help on valves because of physical issues would be just find with the short-action Adams.

Keep in mind that I was comparing the short-action Adams to a normal Adams, which I consider to be the best horn on the market. I suspect if someone who played a different brand tried only the short-action Adams, they would judge it to be a very fine horn.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12