Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lefreQue Times 4

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    ...I found some photos of someone who turned their euphonium into an indecent thing with plates: how can anyone believe that such a thing could somehow improve the sound?
    Those pictures cry out with a message: that person should have bought a different horn! I have to think that all those plates would "stiffen" the horn, lessen its overall vibration, but perhaps give it a denser, more focused sound. Whatever qualities the owner enjoyed with the added plates are probably available in a different brand without all the attachments.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Steven Mead claims that his new gold Prestige was mfg in such a way that he doesn't need the lefreque plates
    Misa Mead seem to stop using it too, did she change her instrument?
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

3. Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Steven Mead claims that his new gold Prestige was mfg in such a way that he doesn't need the lefreque plates
    I suspect Besson wasn't terribly keen on Mead putting lefreque plates on their premiere euphoniums in the first place. Mead is a Besson artist, and the use of lefreques suggests their 2052s don't produce the best possible sound out of the factory -- not necessarily the best look for business.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

Quote Originally Posted by jkircoff View Post
    I suspect Besson wasn't terribly keen on Mead putting lefreque plates on their premiere euphoniums in the first place. Mead is a Besson artist, and the use of lefreques suggests their 2052s don't produce the best possible sound out of the factory -- not necessarily the best look for business.
    But surely a real artist wouldn't be influenced by that.

I wonder if, instead of getting a euphonium first and then attaching plates to it, anyone has tried buying a set of plates first and then attaching a euphonium to them. Sometimes a difference in perspective can make all the difference. I'm thinking that ideally once you have your maximal set of plates, then you should be able to attach any junk euphonium to them, and voila!
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Update:
    I put the plates back because with them, even if they don't seem to give significant improvements in sound, they make the ugly beast of the high C# be hit more easily.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12