Thread: Captain General (The) - Sir Vivian Dunn

Captain General (The) - Sir Vivian Dunn

For our first concert of the new season, "The British are Coming", we got a march entitled, "The Captain General" by Sir Vivian Dunn. Never played this before but it's already becoming a favorite of mine. Vivian Dunn, who wrote this march, was director of the Royal Marines Band from 1931 to 1953. He was the very first British Armed Forces musician to be knighted. You can listen at link below:

The Captain General (F. Vivian Dunn)

The euphoniums have the melody around 1:17 and again at 1:40. Then in the trio (not marked that way but with an added flat) around 2:02 a really nice melody that goes up to a high Bb concert then to high C concert. I understand it wasn't written that way at the start but the principal euphonium player in the H.M. Royal Marine Band told the dir. it that it would sound really nice up an octave. It does.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

That is a great march! Thanks for including the link. Too bad I live so far away - would love to hear your band some day.
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Nice use of the piccolo, too!

The whole thing is tastefully played, which is usually the case with the British!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium