X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Captain General (The) - Sir Vivian Dunn

For our first concert of the new season, "The British are Coming", we got a march entitled, "The Captain General" by Sir Vivian Dunn. Never played this before but it's already becoming a favorite of mine. Vivian Dunn, who wrote this march, was director of the Royal Marines Band from 1931 to 1953. He was the very first British Armed Forces musician to be knighted. You can listen at link below:

The Captain General (F. Vivian Dunn)

The euphoniums have the melody around 1:17 and again at 1:40. Then in the trio (not marked that way but with an added flat) around 2:02 a really nice melody that goes up to a high Bb concert then to high C concert. I understand it wasn't written that way at the start but the principal euphonium player in the H.M. Royal Marine Band told the dir. it that it would sound really nice up an octave. It does.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-15-2019, 09:16 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
  • Euph Loosh
    • Aug 2016

That is a great march! Thanks for including the link. Too bad I live so far away - would love to hear your band some day.
    Euph Loosh
    Imperial by Boosey & Hawkes 4-valve Euphonium (mid-1950's)
    MPs: Kosikup 1 1/2, Bowman BB2 Euro shank, Denis Wick 4AM; Marcus Bonna case

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Nice use of the piccolo, too!

The whole thing is tastefully played, which is usually the case with the British!
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

Working...
      X